Thread: Feeder help!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Exclamation Feeder help!!!

Ok guys I have 3 American green tree frogs and I live in the boonies lol the nearest petstore is 45min or so. Anyhow what do you guys that live far off do? I don't want to order bc I only have tree frogs. Also I'm allergic to dubia roaches. What is an easy food I can provide for them? I was told they would eat earth worms but I don't know how I would feed it to them. We are getting two big box petstores right down the Rd at the beginning of next year. Being built as I type lol but until then I am stuck!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeder help!!!

Crickets are the easiest, with waxworms and calci worms every few feeds for variety. It's better to order online, in my opinion. I have found with some of the pet stores livefoods are shipped from breeders then left in their tubs on the shelf in shocking conditions without food until someone buys them. The alive crickets feed on they dead then get diseased, you don't want to feed your frog that. Some pet shops are good though, especially busy ones that will go through stock quickly. If you order online from a breeder they can be packed freshly and fed, not lying around waiting to be sold.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I raise my own crickets. Once you get the hang of it they are easy to deal with. You just can't raise a few though, typically I find that its easier to raise them in broods of 500+. I only have two FBT's so most of them are destroyed and go in the compost pile. I wouldn't raise them in your house though.

Whether crickets are the most appropriate food for your frogs, I can't say. That be better ask in the sub-forum for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Crickets are the easiest, with waxworms and calci worms every few feeds for variety. It's better to order online, in my opinion. I have found with some of the pet stores livefoods are shipped from breeders then left in their tubs on the shelf in shocking conditions without food until someone buys them. The alive crickets feed on they dead then get diseased, you don't want to feed your frog that. Some pet shops are good though, especially busy ones that will go through stock quickly. If you order online from a breeder they can be packed freshly and fed, not lying around waiting to be sold.
    That Petco probably isn't handling the crickets right. The one I go to suggested a dry food for the crickets I buy based on what he fed the not-yet-sold crickets. Yes, they sometimes munch on each other, but I think they ought to take better care of the crickets. If only for frogs' sake.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Personally, I find breeding crickets to be annoying and smelly, yet I go through about 2000 crickets every 2 weeks (I have 3 RETF and an awful lot of geckos). I'd recommend getting 500-1000 quarter inch crickets online. You can get 1000 crickets online for the same price as you can get about 200 crickets at Petco or equivalent. At 1/4", you'll have weeks for them to grow to adulthood and you can be feeding them to the frogs meanwhile. Obviously, you'll have to feed more 1/4" crickets than 3/4" crickets. If you feel the 1/4" are too small, make the drive to the pet store and get 2 dozen adults and by the time you're done feeding those off, the 1/4" crickets will probably be 1/2" crickets.

Aliza

7. This member thanks acpart for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

They do need dry food, but also wet food as well

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    They do need dry food, but also wet food as well
    You mean the crickets? I keep them on powdered gut load with jar lids full of water crystals on one side of the enclosure.
    Aliza

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Yeah that or fruit/veg, with just a dry diet and no moisture they wouldn't be hydrated, though

Thread Information