Thread: Some concern

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Some concern

I have a new toad in the 75 Gallon and she has been trying to escape ever since I got her. She is stressing out my leopard frog and now he is trying to escape. Keep in mind I've almost had this frog for 2 years now. Should I remove her from the enclosure until she settles down, I have a spare 10 Gallon tank. or should I just let them wear down? I know that's how injury happens so I'm concerned she will stress my leopard frog to hurt himself by trying to escape. Need some advice please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Some concern

If her stress is stressing out your leopard frog I would put her in the ten even just for a couple days to let her adjust to captivity, then put her and see what happens.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Some concern

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    If her stress is stressing out your leopard frog I would put her in the ten even just for a couple days to let her adjust to captivity, then put her and see what happens.
    I have never seen a toad in all the years I have kept them, try to escape as hard and for as long as this toad has. I'm hoping that she settles down eventually. I'm going to get a plastic bin so she can't see although the sides. She doesn't understand that the glass is a wall and she is trying to climb the glass and she is kicking it. She isn't running her nose, she has been using her front legs. Spot went to the other side of the tank and calmed down. My other toad was watching all of this and just sat through all of this in the same place. I may have to put a background in the 75 Gallon so she stops trying to get out the back.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

If this toad seems particularly opposed to captivity perhaps you should turn her loose and seek a new toad.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Some concern

Quote Originally Posted by Dace View Post
    If this toad seems particularly opposed to captivity perhaps you should turn her loose and seek a new toad.
    I will give her a few days and if she doesn't change I will release her. What should I do about my leopard frog because he is trying to escape now and he could hurt himself. The toad has stopped now and is just sitting by the water. I'm concerned for the frog though, he's never done this

Edit*
    So I covered most of the tank with towels (there is still air getting in) on all 4 sides. My frog stopped trying and calmed down. I didn't think it was the enclosure and his behavior is the direct cause of stress. After I covered it, the new toad calmed down also. I'm going to have to remove her and get a background for my tank to make them feel safe. This is why Amphibs should be quarantined first. The only time I don't and it comes back to bite me.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think what you're doing now is fine, if you haven't already, try moving her into her own separate tank and wrap it in towels or newspaper so it doesn't see you and stress out. What I always suggest after that process is over, is to move her into a place where you spend a lot of time but don't aggravate or stress her in anyway, try to make her think you're part of the environment, and as of which, you wont be considered a threat. After that, try dropping in wax-worms or other "irresistible" foods (Like Canadian nightcrawlers, they should be a major part of the staple diet, have you considered adding them to the tank?) and leaving shortly after doing so. The next step is to do that and watch her from a distance, and move closer the following times. Eventually try hand/tong feeding her and if it accepts that, it'll be "tamed" and accustomed to you and won't try to escape her enclosure

9. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    I think what you're doing now is fine, if you haven't already, try moving her into her own separate tank and wrap it in towels or newspaper so it doesn't see you and stress out. What I always suggest after that process is over, is to move her into a place where you spend a lot of time but don't aggravate or stress her in anyway, try to make her think you're part of the environment, and as of which, you wont be considered a threat. After that, try dropping in wax-worms or other "irresistible" foods (Like Canadian nightcrawlers, they should be a major part of the staple diet, have you considered adding them to the tank?) and leaving shortly after doing so. The next step is to do that and watch her from a distance, and move closer the following times. Eventually try hand/tong feeding her and if it accepts that, it'll be "tamed" and accustomed to you and won't try to escape her enclosure
    I am going to see how she is tonight. If she is still trying to escape, I'm going to do this process. I added Earthworms to the 75 Gallon Vivarium. They are thriving with the Woodlice. Earthworms, Crickets, and Waxworms are the bulk diet.

11. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

After watching the tank tonight, the Toad is starting to calm down and Spot is starting to calm down as well. It's not over yet, but things look a lot better than they did yesterday

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    I am going to see how she is tonight. If she is still trying to escape, I'm going to do this process. I added Earthworms to the 75 Gallon Vivarium. They are thriving with the Woodlice. Earthworms, Crickets, and Waxworms are the bulk diet.

Ahh okay good. They're very nutritious, so for anybody reading, make sure you use some of them as a staple!

14. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Thread Information