Thread: pacman suddenly going bonkers?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default pacman suddenly going bonkers?

My 1 year old pacman, Napoleon, has started going absolutely bananas, climbing the walls and generally trying to escape his tank today- We just had a had a big heat wave pass through NY and my apartment was super hot and humid for a couple weeks.. But other than that, I can't think of what might be bothering him- I offered him some roaches and he wasn't interested in eating either.

He's in a 20 gal. with a wall divider between him and another pac- (they've never shown any interest in each other's presence) with 2 inches coconut fibre substrate and sphagnum moss and a basking pool with spring water. Both frogs have excreted recently so I don't think that's the issue, and they were both eating well too.

Any thoughts? I'm worried something's up with him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: pacman suddenly going bonkers?

How hot did the inside of the tank get? If nothing else has changed and hes been fine for a year you could be right and hes trying to escape the heat. That or he could of dirtied his soil more then usual with pee and he needs a cleaning. The odd time one of mine will do this before the end of the month cleaning and usually after a good cleaning and some fresh substrate which ever one it is always calms back down. I would give him good cleaning and adjust his temps back to normal and see if he settles. The other thing I can think of is if you got a 20 gallon dividing into 2 that would be 10 gallons each, This could be a sign that he is need for a bigger enclosure. How big is he?

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah for a couple days it was 90-95ish in my apartment (no A/C :'c) but its back down in the 80's now. And this morning i took your advice and went ahead and changed both sides of the tank- He seems to have settled down and buried himself again, so I think that might have been what was bugging him. Never seen him so active and jumpy before tho!

As for sizes- Napoleons's 3ish inches and his neighbor's about 2.5 in. I know my 20 gal. tank isn't gonna be a long term solution for these guys- I'm hoping to get somethign closer to a 40 gal. in a month or so for em.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Glad to hear he settled, sometimes the smallest things will set them off. My oldest one which is a huge female has a favourite plant she likes to bury by and sit underneath at night, and god forbid you move her plant because she goes bonkers till its were its supposed to be.

Nationality
    [United States]

Heh, good to know- I'm still pretty new to caring for these guys so i'm always worried when they start doing something unusual, I'll keep that in mind tho! And aw man she sounds like handful~ i had no idea pacs could be so picky!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I don't think there is to many that become picky but you get the odd one that will. My 2 males couldn't really care less were stuff is, as long as they have something to hide under and they are being fed they are happy. They have there moments of trying to bite or grumpiness but that's only if they really don't want to be bugged. But ya the female is picky, grumpy and very aggressive. I have hard time picking her up if it is night time and she is fully awake, she has made me bleed 2xs from biting me now and the second time she really got me and it didn't feel all that great. If I need to move her for some reason or another I do it during the day while shes sleeping, usually by the time she wakes up to really realize whats going on I have already put her down. And for there doing things unusual you mentioned, they aren't a very active frog so when they start jumping around like crazy or doing something off its a good reason to be a little concerned and good indicator something is bothering them.

Thread Information