Thread: Soldier Flies

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Soldier Flies

Would these be good to use with my American Toad and Northern Leopard Frog? Can I let them loose in the tank and hatch in there or are the flies too small? My tank can keep flies and bees in it already if they are decent size. Or would these be better with my White's?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Soldier Flies

The larvae get quite big and are supposed to be good nutrition. Don't know if that nutrition holds true for the actual fly. I had a bunch of them in my compost pile a couple years ago but have not seen any since. The larvae didn't seem active enough to attract my FBT's attention and since FBT's don't have an extendable tongue, the fly would probably not get eaten. Not to mention the fly itself is probably too big for most FBT's from what I remember about them flying around my compost pile.

Shouldn't hurt to try. But if your frogs/toads don't eat the larvae, then try to find some data on the food value of the fly before you go overboard with them.

4. This member thanks privet01 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Soldier Flies

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    The larvae get quite big and are supposed to be good nutrition. Don't know if that nutrition holds true for the actual fly. I had a bunch of them in my compost pile a couple years ago but have not seen any since. The larvae didn't seem active enough to attract my FBT's attention and since FBT's don't have an extendable tongue, the fly would probably not get eaten. Not to mention the fly itself is probably too big for most FBT's from what I remember about them flying around my compost pile.

Shouldn't hurt to try. But if your frogs/toads don't eat the larvae, then try to find some data on the food value of the fly before you go overboard with them.
    My American Toad and Leopard Frog eat Waxworms all the time so they should consider these the same. I was wondering if the grubs are as healthy as everyone says, I've read they can be a staple diet alone. The flies would also be used. I'm really considering trying some before I commit to another feeder. Still open for opinions.
    Also, could I possibly raise these in my enclosure, or would they bother the Woodlice, Earthworms, or plants?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Have you looked at this site http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/

I don't think I'd try to raise them in your enclosure for your frogs/toads. They lay so many eggs that they could quickly overwhelm your mini-environment.

They might be an interesting alternative to try and raise though. The larvae are nutritious and the fly itself only lives a few days. So escapees wouldn't be an issue. I'd rather have them loose in the house than a bunch of dubia roaches.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

So I am going to use these, the grubs and flies to feed my Amphibs. I'm going to just feed them to my North American species (Leopard Frog and Toad) I don't have the soil to raise these grubs in so I can't in my enclosure. I can raise Woodlice, Earthworms, Crickets, Wood Crickets, Centipedes, Millipedes, and Slugs, but not Wax Worms or Soldier Flies [emoji30] no one has any videos of their herps eating the Soldier Fly. I may have to be the first! I just want to keep insects that are closer to the regions the frogs are from.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    So I am going to use these, the grubs and flies to feed my Amphibs. I'm going to just feed them to my North American species (Leopard Frog and Toad) I don't have the soil to raise these grubs in so I can't in my enclosure. I can raise Woodlice, Earthworms, Crickets, Wood Crickets, Centipedes, Millipedes, and Slugs, but not Wax Worms or Soldier Flies [emoji30] no one has any videos of their herps eating the Soldier Fly. I may have to be the first! I just want to keep insects that are closer to the regions the frogs are from.

Quick note that no one mentioned, The solider fly larvae may need to be cut or punctured for your animals to digest it properly or they may come out the other end still alive or fully intact. I would also guess that it could lead to impaction if fed to many, none of my frogs, toads, lizards, or fish can digest the larvae they all need it to be cut so that the insides are on the outside.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBullFrog2 View Post
    Quick note that no one mentioned, The solider fly larvae may need to be cut or punctured for your animals to digest it properly or they may come out the other end still alive or fully intact. I would also guess that it could lead to impaction if fed to many, none of my frogs, toads, lizards, or fish can digest the larvae they all need it to be cut so that the insides are on the outside.
    If that's the case, what if I just fed the flies to my frogs? Would they be able to digest them?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The flies themselves don't eat. Their only purpose in their adult life is to mate and lay more eggs. It's only the larvae that eat. So when they begin to pupate, I'd assume that their nutrition value is headed downhill fast. That's why the fly itself only lives about four days.

I've not seen anywhere that talks about the nutrition value of the fly itself, so I certainly would not make them the mainstay of your frogs/toads diet. But the larvae sound like a good thing nutrition wise.

However I can't say whether they, either the fly or the larvae are appropriate for your frogs/toads. None of the people that raise your frog/toads appear to frequent this sub-forum so the question might be better ask in the Frog sub-forum or the Toad sub-forum. Or they just don't know the answer that I'm just guessing at from some quick google searches.

So if no one gives you a better answer, I think you are in the experimental realm
    Certainly AfricanBullFrog2's comment might be the most telling statement so far as to the larvaes appropriateness for food, which I take as a negative.

I know that many online sources are offering the larvae as a source of food, but I don't know for what they intend the larvae for. I just don't think they are appropriate for my FBT's. Which is a shame considering the nutrition the larvae have.

11. This member thanks privet01 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    The flies themselves don't eat. Their only purpose in their adult life is to mate and lay more eggs. It's only the larvae that eat. So when they begin to pupate, I'd assume that their nutrition value is headed downhill fast. That's why the fly itself only lives about four days.

I've not seen anywhere that talks about the nutrition value of the fly itself, so I certainly would not make them the mainstay of your frogs/toads diet. But the larvae sound like a good thing nutrition wise.

However I can't say whether they, either the fly or the larvae are appropriate for your frogs/toads. None of the people that raise your frog/toads appear to frequent this sub-forum so the question might be better ask in the Frog sub-forum or the Toad sub-forum. Or they just don't know the answer that I'm just guessing at from some quick google searches.

So if no one gives you a better answer, I think you are in the experimental realm
    Certainly AfricanBullFrog2's comment might be the most telling statement so far as to the larvaes appropriateness for food, which I take as a negative.

I know that many online sources are offering the larvae as a source of food, but I don't know for what they intend the larvae for. I just don't think they are appropriate for my FBT's. Which is a shame considering the nutrition the larvae have.
    That was well said, I agree sadly that Soldier Fly larva are not going to be used. I just don't want to take the risk of what was stated above. I am very interested and want to use the Soldier Fly itself. I think that would be the safest between the two life stages. It would fill the role of a fly or wasp that my frog and toad eat. I will have it on my thread 75 Gallon Vivarium Build.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

Thread Information