Thread: Help...amplexus on land instead of water?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help...amplexus on land instead of water?

Hello all!

Today two of my toads (I believe Dwarf American) decided to engage in amplexus for the first time -- but instead of being in their pond, they are on the substrate. Rather, Jake (the female, yes named Jake) is partially burrowed in the substrate, with her suitor...well, exactly where you'd think he'd be.

I really want this mating to be successful, as Jake is a gorgeous leucistic girl and I'm hoping she'll pass those genes along. Her as-yet-unnamed suitor is also a beautiful range of pinks and rosy colors, so I think their offspring could be quite interesting.

From what I've read, I shouldn't try to move them during amplexus, but what happens if I don't? They just started this morn; will they move to the water of their own volition or should I intervene?

Thanks so much in advance...and if anyone's interested in their (possibly) leucistic offspring, please feel free to contact me!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help...amplexus on land instead of water?

Jake is dead.

So now my question is: Is it common for a male to (what looks like) strangle a female to death during mating?

R.I.P. Jake

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very sorry to hear about Jake In the wild, amplexus can be dangerous especially for the female. Males are very amorous and often hang on for hours wearing out or even killing (unintentional) the female. The females of some species of frogs and toads have an "I am not ready" call in which the male should break off. Sometimes it doesn't work. If you feel the amplexus is going wrong, gently pull them apart. They may have their feelings hurt, but saves you from the heartbreak.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you, Terry. The only indication I had that something was off was just them being out of water. They were only coupled during that one afternoon / eve, and she died sometime early in the night. I wish I had known sooner that something was wrong...but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

I'll never find another like her, not just because she was leucistic, but sooo personable. It was those genes I wanted to pass along to her offspring as well.

I'm so sad, it's silly. I get attached to all my kids (animals), but most people can't understand why a grown woman is crying over a toad.

Thanks again for the info. If I can ever bear the thought of trying again...or even find "the right" female...that info is very important. I won't learn the hard way again.

Thread Information