Thread: Hello from Michigan!

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Hello from Michigan!

Hello! My son wants a red eyed tree frog. I have done some research, but I am a little confused as to what is needed. So, I need to know what size enclosure does it need. Also, what are the necessary supplies? An idea of prices would be nice. I already checked with our vet. They recommended a check up and fecal test. So, where does the frog poop? Is it in one spot like a leopard gecko? Also, does the enclosure need weekly and monthly cleaning or just monthly? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello from Michigan!

Hey.
    Does he know that they're nocturnal and not very active? There's a care sheet in the Tree Frogs section: http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=251

I'd recommend the tallest tank you can find (24'' is good) with something to climb in and places to hide. Also a water bowl that's regularly changed with dechlorinated water every 1-2 days.
    A thermometer and hygrometer. Some way of heating the tank if necessary whether it's a heat lamp or heat pad. Maybe even some way of cooling it depending on the temperature of your house.
    Some kind of substrate on the bottom: coconut coir (it will need to be changed as needed, probably monthly),
    or paper towels (will need to be changed pretty frequently),
    or a live plants tank with atlanta botanical garden soil and a false bottom or LECA clay below that. Also lights for the plants. (initially more expensive, won't need to be changed or cleaned for years unless the frog gets sick),
    or a layer of water too shallow for the frog to drown in (needs a very small filter, treat like a fish tank but you don't need a water bowl. Make sure there's places to climb out.)
    UV Lights: It's controversial, but some people would argue that even nocturnal animals like red-eyes spend time basking and need UV. There's some evidence for this.
    Because of lack of variety in diet some kind of calcium powder with vitamin D for bugs is important.

As for the poop, frogs go right where they are. There's not much you can do about that.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

A white's treefrog, gray treefrog or Amazon milk frog might be a better choice.

A live tank needn't be particularly expensive- large gravel underneath a layer of coconut fiber, dead leaves, and organic potting soil mixture with some Pothos or Philodendron cuttings would work too.

4. This member thanks Dace for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Dace View Post
    A white's treefrog, gray treefrog or Amazon milk frog might be a better choice.

A live tank needn't be particularly expensive- large gravel underneath a layer of coconut fiber, dead leaves, and organic potting soil mixture with some Pothos or Philodendron cuttings would work too.

Dace, why are you suggesting other frogs? We only have access to White's, green, and red eyed tree frogs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Not trying to be rude, but if you have to ask these questions then you haven't done enough research and this is where books are needed for the in-depth info required to properly care for them

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Some books I would suggest getting are breeding terrarium animals by Elke Zimmerman, which gives a lot of information, some on red eyes and many other herps. It is old, but the small section on red-eyes is accurate. Popular tree frogs by De Vosjoli, Mailloux and Ready is another good one and gives you the info you need to quaratine and advice on care, treatment of disease, designing planted tanks and diet. There's a lot of other books out there and some of them I find to be very basic and poor.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, I think Dace was suggesting the others because for a beginner tree frog these would be a lot more forgiving to any small mistakes then the Red Eye. Red eyes aren't usually recommended for a starter tree frog.

9. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I talk to my son. We have agreed to get a White's tree frog instead. The tree frog book that I have said that they are excellent for beginners.

11. This member thanks froggiesfriends for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Welcome! I'm sure you'll love your white's tree-frog, they are an easy to care of species and are fun to own! Let us know if you hit any bumps in the road, and we'll be happy to help!

13. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

White's are pretty tolerant for a frog. Do keep in mind that if you have one it could live for ten to twenty years though!

15. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Petco has a terrarium vertical kit for $80 by Zilla. It dimensions are 12 x 12 x 18. Is that big enough for 1 frog?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Big enough for a juvenile, but you'll need at least an 18 x 18 x 24" for an adult or two, ideally larger

Nationality
    [United States]

After pricing out the correct size enclosure, we decide to go with African Dwarf Frogs and fish in a 10 gallon tank instead. The enclosure was more money than what I wanted to spend.

Thread Information