Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to get crickets?

Default Best place to get crickets?

I bought a container of crickets Friday for my new fire bellies and of course they are already gone. We live 30 minutes from the closest pet store. Does anyone order them online? Any recommendations?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Best place to get crickets?

Josh's Frogs has crickets at a good price that's where I buy all my crickets. But really you should buy roaches, breed them and never buy feeders again.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Ordering online will quickly get expensive. There is little price difference between them. I've used flucker's and premium crickets. Both provided good healthy looking crickets, but I liked the shipping options better with fluker's.

If you only have a few mouths to feed then as weekly trip to the pet store will be way cheaper. I raise my own crickets and there is only a two week window out of the eight to ten week lifespan that they are feeder size for FBT's. Crickets are easy to raise, but if you don't have space in a garage or some sheltered area outside your house, then I don't recommend them. They can get smelly if they don't get enough ventilation. But if you have ten or so cats/dogs in your home you might not notice <<grin>>.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Yes you are going to want to buy bulk online. Fluckers and premium crickets are definitely not the best options to buy crickets I think privet did a google search and just listed what came up first lol. take the 30 min drive, buy bulk crickets, and set them up in a glass tank or tub no lid, feed them dog food, vegetables, fruits, keep a gatorade or water bottle cap as a water dish,Toilet and paper towel rolls to hide in, they should live for awhile. And keep a wood chip substrate, I've been using this setup for years and have had great success, plus it doesn't stink I keep them next to my bed. Roaches would be the premium way of keeping feeders. I hope this helped some.

I kept 2 bearded dragons for a short time that I rescued and one of the reasons that I ended up finding them a new home was because I just couldn't do the roaches. I thought I could but it bothered me too much. I can do crickets and worms. I could probably feed roaches a few times by just dumping some in but there's no way I could raise them. I'm a wuss.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, well do whatever makes you comfortable, if roaches creep you out then do crickets, if you can't handle the crickets just let the toads starve and find another hobby like sewing or jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBullFrog View Post
    Ok, well do whatever makes you comfortable, if roaches creep you out then do crickets, if you can't handle the crickets just let the toads starve and find another hobby like sewing or jewelry.
    Not really into jewelry. I did try sewing once but I sucked at it. I think I'll stick with the frogs, thanks.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

just let the toads starve and find another hobby like sewing or jewelry.
    Quite a bit of immaturity shown in that quote along with sexism.

10. This member thanks privet01 for this post:

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lily00 View Post
    Not really into jewelry. I did try sewing once but I sucked at it. I think I'll stick with the frogs, thanks.
    Great cool, send me a pm with any other questions you have and I would be glad to answer them.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    I mean that's the truth, you are caring for living creatures that deserve alot more then what anyone can provide. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings but you should be feeding your toads/frogs more then just crickets, you should have a wide variety of feeders for them at the minimum.

Thanks. I agree.

I read several care websites and forums posts before deciding of fire bellies. Every place I looked listed their diets as being "crickets, mealworms, wax worms, earth worms, small feeder guppies, and bloodworms" . I've actually not once found a site that listed roaches...unless you count the one that said "other small insects". I'm sure appropriate size roaches are great for them but I'm confident that I can still give them a varied diet without having to raise roaches. I mean, I even said I was fine feeding roaches occasionally, just not raising them.
    But oh well. I got the answer I needed and I'll figure the rest out.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I mean that's the truth, you are caring for living creatures that deserve alot more then what anyone can provide. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings but you should be feeding your toads/frogs more then just crickets, you should have a wide variety of feeders for them at the minimum.
    The OP never said they were not going to feed their FBT. They just nixed one of your suggestions and apparently that irritated you. You can't get pissed just because someone tells you they prefer something different than you. Not every thing you or I do and suggest will be appropriate for others.

15. This member thanks privet01 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Every place I looked listed their diets as being "crickets, mealworms, wax worms, earth worms, small feeder guppies, and bloodworms" .
    Crickets are the mainstay for my FBT's which have been in my house about five years. I tried mealworms and they are not lively enough to attract their attention. Their shell seems too hard and actually feels sharp on the edges. So I've nixed them, maybe I had them at the wrong stage in their lifecycle. An occasional earthworm that's wriggling does get their attention, and I am considering guppies if I ever get around to building a bigger viv with much more water.

And with crickets, your FBT does get a variety (somewhat) if you change the crickets diet. It's what the cricket has been feed that nourishes the FBT just as much if not more.

17. This member thanks privet01 for this post:

Crickets are the mainstay for my FBT's which have been in my house about five years. I tried mealworms and they are not lively enough to attract their attention. Their shell seems too hard and actually feels sharp on the edges. So I've nixed them, maybe I had them at the wrong stage in their lifecycle. An occasional earthworm that's wriggling does get their attention, and I am considering guppies if I ever get around to building a bigger viv with much more water.

And with crickets, your FBT does get a variety (somewhat) if you change the crickets diet. It's what the cricket has been feed that nourishes the FBT just as much if not more.

Thanks, that's what I've been reading. Funny story... I did end up ordering crickets online. I assumed that it'd be a box within a box...nope! My kids learned some interesting new words when I opened that box up while sitting on the couch. I now have a crickets crawling around the top of my living room walls. Ha!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I kept 2 bearded dragons for a short time that I rescued and one of the reasons that I ended up finding them a new home was because I just couldn't do the roaches. I thought I could but it bothered me too much. I can do crickets and worms. I could probably feed roaches a few times by just dumping some in but there's no way I could raise them. I'm a wuss.
    Hi Lily,

This thread mainly covers roaches for the squeamish but you could also use similar tools for crickets etc, will vastly reduce escapes.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t
    dubia roaches - fresh molt

20. This member thanks KMAC for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC View Post
    Hi Lily,

This thread mainly covers roaches for the squeamish but you could also use similar tools for crickets etc, will vastly reduce escapes.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t
    dubia roaches - fresh molt

Thanks so much! I really love your bug tools! Lol.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

They make my life so much simpler

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks. I agree.

I read several care websites and forums posts before deciding of fire bellies. Every place I looked listed their diets as being "crickets, mealworms, wax worms, earth worms, small feeder guppies, and bloodworms" . I've actually not once found a site that listed roaches...unless you count the one that said "other small insects". I'm sure appropriate size roaches are great for them but I'm confident that I can still give them a varied diet without having to raise roaches. I mean, I even said I was fine feeding roaches occasionally, just not raising them.
    But oh well. I got the answer I needed and I'll figure the rest out.
    No roaches, feed your toads all that you wrote that would be good, with crickets and earthworms as staples, dust crickets every feeding with your preferred supplements.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Everything you have wrote.. on this thread has been wrong,
    Just like you, everything I've written is opinion. Much of if based on what I've read, researched or experienced.

You can't just say I'm wrong and you are right without giving supporting THOUGHT and references. Otherwise it's just a pissing contest. Which apparently we are involved in. <<grin>>

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

You're giving out bad advice, your research consists of, google searching crickets then going on a forum and saying they're good I promise I trust google and every big company out there that has a catchy theme song lol. Please before you type on a forum, learn where the cheapest, healthiest crickets can be bought so that others that see this thread can succeed in this hobby, I made that my job you came for Cheetos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information