Thread: Would this work?

Default Would this work?

I'm trying to figure out an easier way to separate water and land instead of putting a divider in and false bottom. I don't like how the dividers look and I'd like something that looks more natural.
    Do you think it would work to use some sort of container for the land? Like a large plastic pan that I could glue rocks on to cover it and then fill it with soil for plants? Then water around it? Sort of like an island in the middle? Does that make sense?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Would this work?

Eventually whatever you have it secured to the bottom with might let go and then you'd have a floating island, too high for the frogs to climb on. If you ever put too much water in, then it will overflow into the container. Whether that's an issue depends on whats in the container. But it might work well if you can control those two issues.

If you are going to be using a ten gallon tank, then I'd just use washed gravel about 1/2 inch or bigger. For the areas you want as land pile up the gravel to be at the desired water level or a little above. Then cover that with some landscape cloth or nylon window screen and pile on your substrate for plants or whatever your intention is. You can add the quantity of water you want to deal with for changes first, then as you arrange the gravel you'll know where the water level is.

If you are going to use bigger tank, then expanded clay balls or chunks are much lighter than gravel and can be used for the bulk that is going to be hidden from view. Then add the real gravel to build up your shore line and bottom of wet areas.

The expensive expanded clay............ 2.5 lb's for 10 bucks ($4 per pound) http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/subs...m%3Dhydroballs

The cheaper expanded clay.............. 35 lb's for 33 bucks (91 cents per pound) http://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-5...OCKS/202985175

You might could make a hybrid or your idea and this suggestion.

4. This member thanks privet01 for this post:

I guess my thinking was that if the container was full of substrate (and possibly gravel in the bottom) that it wouldn't float in just a few inches of water...? Maybe like a large glass bowl or something.

How could I prevent the built up gravel from eventually washing out without some sort of barrier?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lily00 View Post
    I guess my thinking was that if the container was full of substrate (and possibly gravel in the bottom) that it wouldn't float in just a few inches of water...?
    It might not float depending on how much weight is in the container and how much water surrounds it. You can always try it out and see the step back and punt if it doesn't work. If you don't try you'll never know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily00 View Post
    How could I prevent the built up gravel from eventually washing out without some sort of barrier?
    I just used regular wash gravel from a construction project. I sieved it to be nothing smaller than a 1/2 inch. The irregular shape of the gravel and differing sizes allow it to hold it's shape very well even though the dry side of the gravel is as much as three inches higher than gravel on the water side. Occasionally a few rocks get kicked around but those are easy to deal with at cleaning time. Sand would probably help hold it in place too, but I don't use any as that's just more weight. And you could always use aquarium cement or a safe silicone adhesive.

Might be an entirely different story though if you use a very smooth and very round stone. I suppose the gravel might shift if the viv gets bumped into quite a bit or you have a strong vibration from a 10 foot sub-woofer placed behind it. <<grin>>

Thread Information