Thread: Help Identifying frogs and Environmental needs for them

Nationality
    [United States]

Exclamation Help Identifying frogs and Environmental needs for them

Hi I need help identifying my frogs and it's environmental needs in a tank. I've tried attaching a photo, but no luck I've made sure the size was under the acceptable as well and width and height and still no luck.
    My biggest concern at this time is to determine whether or not I need a special UVB bulb for them? This is my and my 7 year old daughters first time raising frogs and want to be sure we do it right. From what I've been able to find online, no special lighting is required. These frogs are from California and found in places like Union Valley Reservoir in El Dorado County which is a wooded lake at around 5000 ft.

Also what type of environment do they need? Half water/half land? This is how I have it setup now.

I think my biggest concern now is UVB Light or NO UVB Light?

Thank you,

Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help Identifying frogs and Environmental needs for them

Hello and welcome to the forum! The photo uploader is broken with no ideas when it will be fixed. So you will have to use a photosharing site such as photobucket or flickr in order to share photos here. Honestly, I cannot give much advice without knowing what species of frog you have. This might help you out though - http://www.californiaherps.com/ident.../frogs.id.html
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

4. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Amy/All,

Sorry for the long delay on getting back to you with pictures, but the link below is the best pic of one of my frogs. I have 5 frogs and 2 tadpoles that are almost ready. Right now I know I have them in a way to small enclosure which is a 5.5 gallon old fish tank that I had.

If you could tell me what kind of frogs these are I'd appreciate it. Just so you know they have a cream/white colored underbelly I believe. I called and spoke with the biologist from that area and all should would tell me was they are "Tree Frogs" as there are plenty in California. So after tons of searching I think that they are Pacific Tree Frogs but if anyone can confirm I'd appreciate it.

So if they are Pacific Tree Frogs, since they are young they just became frogs 2 weeks ago or so plus I still have the 2 tadpoles that will probably become frogs in another week, what should I be feeding them right now? I current have some tiny green pellets that says for Tadpoles, Newts and Frogs that I got at PetsMart, and I crush some of it into tiny pieces to be sure they can eat them and they seem to do ok. Is there anything else I should be feeding them at this point in their young life? Also what size tank? I've read that I should get a 18" x 18" x 24" terrarium but when I look online especially on Amazon I see Terrarium Small, Med, Large and the Mediums say WIDE or TALL? Do I want a TALL Tank or Wide? I was thinking TALL right because they are tree frogs and need the height? Also how much water? Fill the bottom of the tank with a gallon or so of water or just a large dish ?
    MY FROGS: http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps6txqvg3y.jpg

HELP Please

Nationality
    [United States]

Can anyone help me please?

Thread Information