Thread: Moving house

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Question Moving house

Hi All,

Next week I am going to be moving house, and I am keen to make, what has been a very stressful experience for me, as stress-free as possible for my two FBT.

I have moved them before, but it only took about 15mins to walk from the old place to the new place so I really didn't do anything special for them. This move will be a little over an hour's drive so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep them happy and healthy during the journey.

My first thought was to put them both in the small plastic vivarium which I use if I need to take them out of their usual home, with a little water and a lot of sphagnum moss. I will be holding them during the drive so I should be able to minimise movement.

Would it be best to put them in the travelling tank the night before we move to allow them to get used to it, or should I just be looking to minimise the time their are out of their usual home? Similarly how long should I give them to recover once we arrive at the new place, straight back into the big vivarium (once it has been set up of course) or a few hours/overnight to get over the journey?

Any tips would be appreciated, sorry if this has come up before, I am new to the forums and a quick search didn't reveal anything obvious.

Bea and Ben (the FBT) pass on their thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Moving house

Hello and welcome to the forum!

If it's just an hour drive, I would just move them to a small plastic frog carrier, like a Kritter Keeper) with damp sphagnum moss before you leave. I wouldn't bother putting water in there for that time period because it's likely it'll just get sloshed around and spilled. It's generally safer to skip it especially if it's only going to be a couple of hours. Put them back in their home once it is set up. They should do just fine!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thread Information