Thread: I need help

Default I need help

I was wondering if there is something that I can feed or dust crickets with to get rid of any parasites that can harm my geckos and frogs my first leopard gecko died because of crickets I bought having parasites almost all my frogs and geckos are irritating me a little because they all HATE any worms meal wax butter you name them they won't touch them and my dubia colony can't be fed off as the numbers are dangerously low so is there anything that can make crickets safe to feed I'm out of options but I don't want to infect my collection with parasites from crickets bought from the store thanks - Firebelly man

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: I need help

If you are buying crickets from a store and they have parasites, then you should change stores or raise your own crickets. Might have been a one-time thing for that store though. Maybe a conversation with the store about it to see if they are aware of anything wrong with the crickets previously. But if the cricket bins stink to high heaven, I'd still be looking elsewhere.

Anything you put on your crickets to kill parasites on them is going to be going into your geckos and frogs.

Ok just to be clear though don't all crickets sting I hate doing crickets and ordered some new roaches for feeding thanks for your response

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The females have a spike that has been said to cause problems (though I've never had any) but they don't sting, but will bite/attempt to eat frogs if they are not fed beforehand (which they should be) and if the animal doesn't eat them straight away. Go to another shop, preferably somewhere that packs them fresh rather than keeping them in tubs for days with no food, where they die and then feed upon each other, then ofcourse get disease

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Assuming that "sting" was meant to be "stink", then no not all cricket bins stink. If they are provided good ventilation by keeping the air moving, then the bins will stay dry and not stink. Roaches are the rage for many nowadays, so if your geckos and frogs can handle them then they are probably just as good as crickets. But I'd much rather find a cricket loose in my house than a roach. And just as likely, if the store keeps their crickets in bad enough conditions to get parasites, then I'd think they keep their roaches in no better condition.

I get the roaches from a separate site (loll reptile ) no roaches at my store and yes sorry I meant stink stupid auto correct I just go to satandard petco as I've grown to hate most petsmarts I mean really how hard is it to cut up some carpet for geckos instead of stinking sand people if I worked ther (thank god I don't ) so many things would be different in the way the fish and reptiles are kept I went in a few days ago and noticed a dead crab I told the staff (a Russian girl who I bet dosent speak a lick of English and she said she would clean it ) a few days later I come in and the dead crabs are in the exacta me spot so sad

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The petsmart near me used to keep their cricket bins clean. Occasionally I have to buy crickets when I wait too long to start a new brood. Now the bins at Petsmart are filthy and do stink to high heaven. I won't even buy crickets from them and instead order them from online at a much higher cost. A Petsmart employee told me that they get cricket deliveries once a week. If they cleaned out the bins each delivery, there is no way they could be as filthy as they are now.

The other very annoying thing Petsmart does now is bag their crickets up early in the morning in various counts and that is what you are supposed to buy. However after being in the bag all day with no water and no food, why would I want to get them for my fbt's?? Crickets need to eat more than their weight every day, maybe even twice their weight as they grow so fast.

Or maybe look for a mom and pop pet store instead of Petsmart.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BlueisallIneed View Post
    Or maybe look for a mom and pop pet store instead of Petsmart.
    I think the last of the mom and pop pet stores closed around here a couple years ago. Sad....big box stores rule unfortunately.

Raising my own crickets has proven to be very easy. They eat pretty much any kitchen scraps and garden scraps you have. The only caveat is that they do have an odor when you keep enough to sustain a brood (or whatever you call a bunch of crickets) of them. But it's not a "stink" unless you let their bins stay filthy.

Because of the odor, I'd only recommend them to someone that can raise them in a garage, outbuilding or sheltered place outside your home. You also can't be squeamish about disposing of them when they become to old for feeders. You can't release them to the wild as they'd strip the vegetation around your home and upset the natural insect balance. So you have to kill them. Then they, as well as all the litter in their bin can go in your compost pile.

Thread Information