Thread: New addition to the family

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New addition to the family

Hey guys! my growing collection was just blessed with yet another addition. I'll try to upload some pictures soon, hopefully of the full collection. The new one just arrived today and is a common garter snake AKA Thamophis Sirtalis. I've named him "Apophis" after the Egyptian serpent deity he's currently about 18 inches long. He's healthy, active, curious and beautiful as well as surprisingly gentle for being handled by me for the first time when I put him in his habitat. The place I ordered him from most likely pre-socialized him. He'll eat nightcrawlers, guppies and the occasional pinky mouse.
    Well my growing collection was just blessed with yet another addition, you guys. I'll upload some pictures soon, hopefully of the full collection. This guy just arrived today and is a common garter snake or Thamophis Sirtalis. I've named him "Apophis" after the Egyptian serpent diety and right now he's about 18 inches long. He's healthy, active, curious and beautiful plus surprisingly gentle for being handled by me for the first time when I put him in his habitat. The place I ordered him from must have pre-socialized him. He's going to eat nightcrawlers, guppies and the occasional pinky mouse.

2. This member thanks Allthingswithscales for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New addition to the family

He sounds amazing! I've wanted one of these species for a while, good to know someone on here keeps them
    Last edited by Cliygh and Mia 2; June 16th, 2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Didn't see that it said he

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Xaviar! Here's a picture of him I just got today!

6. 2 members thank Allthingswithscales for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Once again, very stunning snake! By the way, are you sure it's a Thamnophis sauritus? It more likely (At least from those photos, I can't see the head very well) looks like either a Thamnophis proximus or a Thamnophis sauritus. If it is one of the ribbon snakes, it's spectacular it's eating pinky mice already, I heard that these species (or at least WC ones) will only eat fish and amphibians. I'd need a better photo of the head to tell if it is a ribbon snake or a garter, as Eastern garters have spaces of black in-between the scales in their face, but ribbon snakes do not. All the best, and beautiful snake!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Nice looking Garter Snake. I used to live in small bush town up north here in Canada called Temagami till i was about 9 and I remember catching one of these at least once a week to every second week, they were everywhere. That and frogs, I actually brought one in the house and I remember my mom screamed which scared me and I ended up dropping it on the floor. Well there was mom up on the counter faster then you could say snake and I had to chase that thing and try to catch it. Ended having to wait till my stepdad came home and we had to pull out the fridge because that's were it went to hide from the crazy screaming lady on the counter, I was told to never ever bring anything in the house from outside again. L.O.L I was always up to no good as a kid.

9. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

oh yeah I'm certainly going to get some more pictures, probably tomorrow. He's still pretty young yet and has yet to bulk up, the place I ordered him from sold ribbon snakes seperately so I'm sure they sent what I ordered but yeah I'll be sure to get a clearer picture with me actually holding him

11. This member thanks Allthingswithscales for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

lol that's absolutely hilarious! I've actually heard in some parts of canada they swarm about once every year and mate in huge groups

13. This member thanks Allthingswithscales for this post:

Thread Information