Thread: Rest In Peace, Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Rest In Peace, Frog

I bought my first pacman just this last Friday and this Monday night I found it dead. I thought it was a little sluggish when I bought it, but I assumed it was my inexperience with them. I don't know if I did something wrong or if it was just sick from the start.

I'm just really upset.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Rest In Peace, Frog

I'm very sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

Nationality
    [Canada]

So sorry for your loss. If you just got this past Friday it probably was already sick with something and it was nothing you did.

5. This member thanks monster for this post:

that totally sucks. I'm so sorry for your loss. don't feel guilty, + if the frog was already sick it was probably beyond your capability to help, and at least the frog isn't in pain anymore. rest in peace, small amphibian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. This member thanks shmush for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry for your loss I agree with the others. If it was only a few days, sounds like it was already ill to begin with.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

9. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear. Don't let this put you off, though. As said, probably was ill to begin with. They're pretty hardy frogs and I'm sure would tolerate sub-optimal conditions for a while before perishing (not saying that you provided it with such).

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for your condolences. His name was Koike, though I didn't have the heart to write it so soon after his passing. But it seems kinda sad to be nameless at the end.

With that said: I worry I may have over-heated him, but he never buried or even moved from wherever I set him down. I soaked him the first day and yesterday due to a clingy shed stuck to his legs. Both times in bottled water. I would appreciate any help you guys are willing to contribute so that I can avoid this someday.

1. Size of enclosure - 10 gallon
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences - One
    3. Humidity - in the 60s
    4. Temperature - 76-82
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - Ozarka bottled water
    6. Materials used for substrate - coconut fiber brick
    7. Enclosure set up - Hand thrown food safe clay bowl
    8. Main food source - red wigglers and crickets

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) - i have a calcium/vitamin mix, but it was never eaten

10. Lighting - 75 watt bulb
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure -heat emitter bulb
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - a day before death
    13. Have you found poop lately - no
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) N/A
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.- stuck shed-like substance on legs
    16. How old is the frog - Unknown
    17. How long have you owned him/her - about five days
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - captive
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats - N/A
    20. How often the frog is handled - With a plastic cup
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - medium, probably not relevant
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - N/A, changed water every day

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, just went through your answers and not saying say this is the cause but here is couple things to fix for next time. Your humidity you want to keep around 75% no higher then 80%, when the humidity is lower it makes it harder for them to shed and it helps them retain water longer then if they were in dry air so they don't dehydrate. Dehydration is another reason its always important to keep the substrate moist, if the air dries out he can always rehydrate in the substrate. If you were keeping it in the 60s this could have been part of the reason there was skin left on the legs, not saying this is the complete reason but could have contributed to it. For the heat you want it to stay around 82F to 84F, I would say more around the 82F for a baby and let it go down a few degrees at night. The other thing is when finding a place for his terrarium in the house you want it to be as quiet and low traffic as possible. Constant loud noises and people walking and by etc really stressing them out. Again please don't think this why your frog passed, he more then likely already had something. I don't think you even owned him long enough for these to be a factor in the passing.

Nationality
    [United States]

As to the above points, I kept his substrate really moist (Not wet, just damp) and I think it's likely that the humidity was higher closer to the soil than the sensor could reach. The shed was stuck on his legs to start with - I actually managed to get a bit of it off his sides when I brought him home and soaked him, because I was also worried he was dehydrated.

Otherwise I'll keep your comments in mind in the future! Someday I'll try again.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, please don't take that wrong way. I wasn't trying to say you weren't doing it right and contributed to the passing, it was just helpful pointers. And sometimes I will even admit that they just don't get all the skin and you have to help them out, and when it happens with mine its always the back legs like yours was. And I just do the same thing, drop in a bath wait for him to get nice and wet and just peel it for him.

Nationality
    [United States]

I didn't take it that way! I was just mentioning that his issues had already developed when I purchased him. Otherwise your comments really were helpful.

Thread Information