Thread: Uvb lighting..good or bad?

Default Uvb lighting..good or bad?

Just as the title states, is uvb lighting required for pacmans? TIA!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Uvb lighting..good or bad?

In the wild horned frogs eat other frogs and anything else that comes their way, so they get a great deal of their D3 from the whole animals they eat. So long as you remember to supplement your crickets with calcium which includes D3, you will be fine. If you want to provide UVB it won't do any harm at all unless the animal is an albino. It may help the frog manufacture its own D3 but because no studies have been done on this species to prove this, still include D3 from supplements. If you want to provide UVB a 5% UVB would be suitable in most cases but remember to provide plenty of shade away from the light, so the frog can regulate it's exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    In the wild horned frogs eat other frogs and anything else that comes their way, so they get a great deal of their D3 from the whole animals they eat. So long as you remember to supplement your crickets with calcium which includes D3, you will be fine. If you want to provide UVB it won't do any harm at all unless the animal is an albino. It may help the frog manufacture its own D3 but because no studies have been done on this species to prove this, still include D3 from supplements. If you want to provide UVB a 5% UVB would be suitable in most cases but remember to provide plenty of shade away from the light, so the frog can regulate it's exposure.
    Hey thanks for the reply Jason! I asked this question because I bought the zoo med led with uvb t5ho and didn't know if I wasted my money or not. Lol.

So I should be okay with the uvb on? I have plenty of hiding spots in the tank for the little juve.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

What % of UVB comes with that? For your tank I would not go over a 5% but if it's a 5% or reptisun 5.0 you should be good to leave it on

It's a reptisun 5.0 t5ho. Thanks Jason!

7. This member thanks hasunnyson for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

The high output bulbs produce more UVB than standard t8 UVBs so I would contact zoo med to see if this would be suitable for your frog and set up, they should be able to tell you

Nationality
    [Canada]

Haven't used these bulbs, but if I femember correctly they are not in 6,5K range, meaning they are no good for plants. Pacman frogs don't need UVB, so you kinda wasted money just sayn
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Haven't used these bulbs, but if I femember correctly they are not in 6,5K range, meaning they are no good for plants. Pacman frogs don't need UVB, so you kinda wasted money just sayn
    Hahaha okay that's fine. I'll just use the leds

Nationality
    [Canada]

Led are awesome! Might be too bright for your frog though, but if he has where to hide it will be fine
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Going to tell something you won't like it all is not going to be that pretty for long, you know that right? And you will need to change the substrate once a month too. Is he eating?

14. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Going to tell something you won't like it all is not going to be that pretty for long, you know that right? And you will need to change the substrate once a month too. Is he eating?
    Hahah I figured that...I want to at least make it look nice while I still can. He's eating but not much...first day I brought him home he ate 2 night crawlers...then 1 cricket since he's been home. And I've had him since Sunday.

I'm going bioactive so hopefully I don't have to change too much substrate....I was thinking 20/30% of it. Let's see how that goes haha!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Lol okay then. Good news - he is eating! Meaning not stressed out in that big tank. Bad news - bio active and big frogs that produce tons of waste just don't go together. But hey it looks nice now!

Lol okay then. Good news - he is eating! Meaning not stressed out in that big tank. Bad news - bio active and big frogs that produce tons of waste just don't go together. But hey it looks nice now!
    Bio active plus spot clean his waste lol....it's a learning process!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hasunnyson View Post
    Bio active plus spot clean his waste lol....it's a learning process!
    We all go through a learning process when we're starting I learned a lot in the first month of frog ownership and that was after doing "quick research" before buying what I thought I needed. I also made the mistake of getting advice from a petsmart teenage employee.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

19. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    We all go through a learning process when we're starting I learned a lot in the first month of frog ownership and that was after doing "quick research" before buying what I thought I needed. I also made the mistake of getting advice from a petsmart teenage employee.
    Lol but I love every minute of it! Funny how I was just telling my friends that exact thing. No matter how much research you do..it will never prepare you to actually hold a frog in your hand lolol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hasunnyson View Post
    Lol but I love every minute of it! Funny how I was just telling my friends that exact thing. No matter how much research you do..it will never prepare you to actually hold a frog in your hand lolol
    Exactly! And even then, when you think you have things figured out, you get a frog that doesn't follow the book exactly and you have to make adjustments. For instance, if I keep the humidity in my grey tree frog tank to the level that most recommend, I have one male that goes into a panic attack trying to escape. So I keep the humidity a little lower and they have a cycled pond area in their tank where they can do plenty of soaking if need be. But he threw me through a loop because I was doing what was *supposed* to be right and it wasn't working!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Exactly! And even then, when you think you have things figured out, you get a frog that doesn't follow the book exactly and you have to make adjustments. For instance, if I keep the humidity in my grey tree frog tank to the level that most recommend, I have one male that goes into a panic attack trying to escape. So I keep the humidity a little lower and they have a cycled pond area in their tank where they can do plenty of soaking if need be. But he threw me through a loop because I was doing what was *supposed* to be right and it wasn't working!
    Haha it's like we said, all a learning process! I just want this frog to have a great life.

Thread Information