Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Juvenile pacman frog not eating

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Juvenile pacman frog not eating

Hey, sorry I'm just getting back to this now. Been busy putting together a terrarium for my bearded dragon. I noticed from your answers that you still don't know what the actual temp is in the enclosure, did you up getting gauges? if not again this is very important and if he is to hot or to cold this could really put him off food. Mealworms aren't the greatest for food for these guys because they have a hard time digesting the exo skeleton and it makes them become impacted, which reminds me did you ever the honey bath. For your water you just said your misting but didn't mention were the water is comeing from, meaning is it tap or spring etc. And are you using any declorinator to take out the clorine and stuff. And the bump on his bum is his tailbone.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

I plan on getting the gauges tomorrow. I haven't had time to do the honey bath yet, but I would like to know how you actually do it. Do you just a pour a bit in with the water? and for the water, I don't really know if it contains chlorine or not. But I've heard that it's safe to drink, plus I've been using the same water on my other pets, and they've been fine.

Nationality
    [Canada]

For the honey bath take whatever you use for baths and add about 4 nice drops of honey into some warm declorinated water no higher then his chin. Let him sit in here for about 20 mins in a nice quiet dark room, you want the bath to be as stress free as possible and you can cover the container with a towel to help keep the heat in. After about 20 mins in there you take him out and then just give him a normal bath with warm declorinated water to wash the honey residue off. Sometimes they will go in the bath or if he is like mine he will go when he gets back into his tank. Sometimes you need to do it a couple nights in a row but it usually works after one, and that's if he even has to go and if he doesn't do worry the honey wont hurt him. For your water if your using tap water you need Declorinator, my city water here is safe to drink but it still contains clorine which isvery bad for the frogs. Amphibians skin is a lot more sensitive then most reptiles and due to them absorbing water through there skin they have no way or choice to avoid the bad stuff in it. If I were you I would buy some repti safe just to make sure, its not very expensive and a little bottle will last along time.

5. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Well I got those gauges today. The heat is in the 70's and the humidity is in the 80's.

I'll try the whole honey thing, and same with the dechlorinator. I'll update if anything new happens.

Thank you

Nationality
    [Canada]

Now that you got the gauges if you can try to get his daytime temps up around 82f and let it drop down to around 78f to 77f at night. He may be just having a hard time digesting what he has ate before you got him and the few mealworms you were able to force feed him. The heat helps with digestion so if its to cool he wont digest fast enough making him feel full longer. Your humidity 80% is the highest you want to go, anything higher they can get a respiratory infection if they are constantly sitting in it. I aim to try and keep mine around 75% mark and I seem to have no issues.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well I gave him the bath, and that sure was something..

I let him bathe and after I came back, I decided to feed him with my fingers, and he went ape crazy..

For some odd reason, whenever he sees a finger he just goes on a killing spree mode. He didn't want to eat the food because he was too busy leaping, attacking, barking, and attempting to bite at my finger. Yet when I use the tweezers, he just cowers away once again. I ended up force feeding him again.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If hes afraid of the tongs you could always put him in a separate container for feeding that doesn't have substrate in it and just let the food go and see what he does. Do you know what the store was feeding him before you got him? By the way he goes after your finger makes me wonder if they were giving him a lot of pinkies, your finger looks a lot like pinky. And if they were giving him a lot of them he might try to refuse anything else till he gets what he wants.

Nationality
    [United States]

When he was attacking my fingers, it seemed more like he was protecting himself. He was standing up on his legs, hissing and lunging while barking.

At the store he was fed crickets. I don't like dealing with crickets because they can be annoying to work with.

Nationality
    [United States]

And i'm going to be honest, but pacman frogs are probably the most offended frogs I've ever seen

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya that's what they do when they aren't happy with you so your right he didn't think your finger was food. And yes I agree they very easily offended. L.O.L Did you happen to try and feed him again last night and try to do it a different container? And you are trying to feed him at night or during daytime hours.

Nationality
    [United States]

I only feed him once a day to avoid over feeding. I haven't fed him today (yet) but I will try what you mentioned, putting him in a separate container with his food. He doesn't really have a schedule, I just feed him any time. But usually at night.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya you don't want to feed more then once day. I usually wait about an hour after lights go out and for the temps to drop a couple degrees and I don't usually have any problems. And feeding at night like your doing is the best time feed, you wont get much if you try during the day. When you feed next time in the container after you put his food in there try leaving the room or backing away so he cant see you, I have heard of some pacman frogs that wont eat when your watching. Hopefully you have some luck.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm just curious, does he need a heat mat? his cage heat is still in the 80's. I've ordered one for my roaches on ebay, but it won't be coming until probably next month.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If your already in the 80's you shouldn't need one.

Nationality
    [United States]

I left him with his food last night, but with no success. He was only interested in my fingers.

I would stop force feeding your animal as it is highly stressful and you've ignored multiple attempts to inform you that mealworms are not the best food option, or even really all that viable. If you don't want to deal with crickets then try plain old night crawlers or even one of the powdered varieties of Pacman chow. Frogs are extremely delicate, you need to be buying spring water for him for all applications of water involving him. Also those sticks really aren't doing anything for his enclosure seeing as Pacman frogs do not climb. Good luck with your new pet.

Nationality
    [United States]

I've already mentioned that the mealworms aren't his staple diet. And the sticks are decorations.

Nationality
    [United States]

Got some canadian nightcrawlers today for him. He seemed to like them.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Did he eat them on his own?

Nationality
    [United States]

Nope. He first attacked it because he thought it was a finger. I set it there with him for about 20 minutes. I also shut the bathroom lights off and waited. He still hadn't eaten it.

I plan on giving him a male dubia roach today since I have too many of those. Hopefully he'll mistake it for a cricket and eat it

Another thing is, he's already grown an inch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information