Thread: Impaction help!

Default Impaction help!

This is a follow-up to my previous thread here ---> http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=36168

After my vet visit last week, the vet determined that it was an impaction, thankfully not the prolapse I thought it was! I am still having some difficulties though...
    When he was being treated, he was taken to a separate room, I had no idea what she did or how she did it, but she pulled some stuff out of him, what appeared to be some substrate either from me, or whoever I ordered it from. She told me there was still some left in him and to rub his abdomen to help him out and use a q tip. Seemed easy enough, but when I got home, I just had no idea what to do, and I still don't! He usually has a hissy fit if I try to touch him, going into a defensive stance and squeaking at me and hopping away, so I haven't been touching him much because I don't want him to get even more stressed than he already is. I'm not sure how to tell when all that stuff is out of his system, how can I figure out when the impaction is taken care of? When he's been trying to poop, sometimes this white mucus-looking stuff comes out and I'm hoping that's just part of the impaction and nothing too serious. He is in a hospital tank right now, with some paper towels, his pool, and some nice hiding spots for him. Any help once again, would be much appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Impaction help!

If he is still eating, he should eventually poop it out. Keep feeding him and let nature take its course. My male had some problems so I gorged him with pinkies. He eventually pooped everything out of his system. Im no expert in pixies, but this is what I did and my male is doing fine.

Also give it a warm bath/soak and it will help it poop it out/clear his system.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond75 View Post
    If he is still eating, he should eventually poop it out. Keep feeding him and let nature take its course. My male had some problems so I gorged him with pinkies. He eventually pooped everything out of his system. Im no expert in pixies, but this is what I did and my male is doing fine.

Also give it a warm bath/soak and it will help it poop it out/clear his system.

He doesn't seem interested in eating last I checked. I could try to give him a worm again and see what happens. Whenever I try using tongs, he gets all puffed him and hisses, so he doesn't like them very much. I'm trying a couple warm baths and there are times where he spreads his legs out and relaxes and tries to poop, but nothing has been coming out. He's about the size of my thumb right now.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

In that situation trust frog knows what he is doing. Eating while impacted is not something he should do imagine yourself in that situation, would you really want to eat?
    Can you post a recent pic, do you feel any lumps in particular on a left side ( when you look from the top, frog head facing forward)? Or on a right side? Any bloating?

Going forward, nightcrawlers should be his main diet until his poops are normal.

edit- reread your initial thread, some things I missed before that needs to be fixed.

substrate - too dry, you need to keep it wet, not mud like, but wet.
    Temps. 70 at night, way way too low, that might be a reason he is not really interested in food. Increase to 83-84 during a day, you can do 85 too, night no lower then 76-78. Invest in good quality digital or infrared thermometer if you have analog gauge.
    Decor, add a plant of sorts to make him feel safer, I prefer these silk hanging ones, you stick to the wall and then spread it over the ground some, it creates a good hide for the frog. Silk at plastic ones are not as good, plastic parts tend to be loose and come if and then it is a danger to a frog.
    Hm... I think I covered all I remembered.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    In that situation trust frog knows what he is doing. Eating while impacted is not something he should do imagine yourself in that situation, would you really want to eat?
    Can you post a recent pic, do you feel any lumps in particular on a left side ( when you look from the top, frog head facing forward)? Or on a right side? Any bloating?

Going forward, nightcrawlers should be his main diet until his poops are normal.

edit- reread your initial thread, some things I missed before that needs to be fixed.

substrate - too dry, you need to keep it wet, not mud like, but wet.
    Temps. 70 at night, way way too low, that might be a reason he is not really interested in food. Increase to 83-84 during a day, you can do 85 too, night no lower then 76-78. Invest in good quality digital or infrared thermometer if you have analog gauge.
    Decor, add a plant of sorts to make him feel safer, I prefer these silk hanging ones, you stick to the wall and then spread it over the ground some, it creates a good hide for the frog. Silk at plastic ones are not as good, plastic parts tend to be loose and come if and then it is a danger to a frog.
    Hm... I think I covered all I remembered.
    Very much appreciated for the reply! I actually did invest in a digital thermometer shortly after the visit, along with investing in a new dome and bulbs because my previous one was giving me trouble. With the new dome and bulbs, the day time temperates are commonly around 82-85, while the night time is 73-76. I would like to get those night time temperatures a consistently a little higher. The left side of him, as evidenced by my pictures, looks bigger than the right. I felt both sides of him and they felt the same, but then again I'm not sure what a lump is suppose to feel like because I haven't dealt with something like this before!

http://imgur.com/a/hR1bF these are two pictures I just took of him. Sometimes he's sitting there with what it looks like his eyes closed. He gets perked up a bit more if he gets sprayed or if a hand comes near him.

http://imgur.com/rB8a18y this is his current tank. He really likes the corner, makes him feel safer I imagine.

Nationality
    [Canada]

The lump would feel hard, on a left side would be a poop, on a right side is the stomach, or it may indicate it is blocked all the way to the stomach.

Regarding consistency in temps, you may want to look into getting hydrotherm by zoomed - a life saver! It is a controller that regulates temps including night drop in temps. And it is also can be used as a termometer/hydrometer. It is about 50$ at Amazon I think.

Now regarding the frog. It looks bloated, not terribly so though. Given the circumstances and the fact it has been 2 weeks now I would resort to antibiotics. Very likely it has infection in his interstines, very common in impacted for longer time frogs.
    You have been to a vet, I suggest to go back, if you don't really trust him/her then give dr. Frye a call ( Milan vet hospital) he will assess and send you needed meds to your home. You, US people, are lucky he does it over the distance it can't happen in Canada unfortunately, it's illegal for vets to prescribe anything without seeing a patient, US is different.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

8. This member thanks Lija for this post:

You've been a real life saver so far! I'll invest in that hydrotherm and I'll set up an appointment with either the vet I went to 2 weeks ago or to who you recommended. I'll be sure to leave an update and hope he'll be okay!

For that device, I looked on amazon and saw a couple other products like an auto fogger of some sort. Is that worth investing into at night, or should it be okay to just get the controller?

Nationality
    [Canada]

No problems as long as it helps, hope the little guy will be fine and turn into a big guy soon!

fogger, you probably mean zoomed fogger, that looks that bottle sitting upside down on a black base with a hose comming out of it? It's ok, myself I had to return mine like 4 times. If you can glue a few things together, it's better to get ultrasonic home humidifier, (i've heard you can get it for 20$ at Walgreens? Not sure), anyhow, you just need to buy the hose that can fit into the place the fog is coming out and then glue it in. This will give you better fogger . There are bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it exactly. Regardless of what you buy you can plug it into hydroterm and it will control humidity for you too!

yeah that was what I was referring to, aha. I've got one last question for you if you don't mind! Sometimes my frog will just close his eyes and it looks like he's sleeping. If he gets misted he usually perks up a bit, but I'm not sure if he's trying to sleep or if it's something else. This is what he usually looks like, it's the best picture I could get.

http://imgur.com/Gm5EqAW

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes, he is sleeping

13. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Is there any chance you could link me to this Dr. Frye guy I could contact? I think I contacted the wrong one or something lmao. For the vet I went to last time they won't have an opening until next Monday and that's pretty far away!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Huh. I guess I did send it to the right person, but this is what he replied back with when I asked if he was able to send me anything that could help with impaction:

"I am sorry, but this is not accurate. I cannot diagnose or fix your problem from the internet. I am not comfortable with trying to walk you through an impaction removal."

Maybe I need to be more clear or add pictures like the thread says? I'm not really sure.

well. it pains me to say this, but my frog friend started having some sort of spasm that lasted a minute, then he died in my hands. it makes me feel horrible that this happened to such a tiny frog and i don't know what to do. i just feel a mix of frustration and sadness over this. while i honestly believed that he had the impaction when i ordered him, i feel i could have prevented it and had him growing for years to come. it's just not fair that something so horrible can happen to just a baby. thank you all for trying to help me out with this. i'm going to take some time off and try to get the absolute best environment i can provide for a new pixie before i get another one. here's to hoping this next one is the one for me.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm so so sorry for your loss, I'm so sorry dr frye didn't help and I'm so sorry I couldn't help more.
    You should find some comfort in knowing you did for him everything you could,
    based on whole story I can tell you that none of this was your fault and unfortunately not always we can help them.

Thread Information