Thread: New! interested in axolotls

piiglet

Default New! interested in axolotls

Hey all! I am interested in learning about axolotls...

I was given a 10 gallon by my parents for my bday - - it has been firmly stated that this is all I am allowed.

I have access to matured media from my neighbor - - upon hearing about my tank they gave me a big lecture about the necessity of cycling, I then came on the net and furthered my research - - def going to only use matured media for the cycle.

I have always been interested in axolotls - - looking online I am seeing mixed info and I don't generally trust fish store people.

Some sites say 2 are fine in a standard 10 gallon - - my dimensions are 20" long, 10" wide, and 12" high.
    other sites say 10 gallons for 1...

so my questions are

A) how many will be ok in a 10 gallon?

B) is it better to have sand substrate or river rock substrate? (have read that gravel is bad because they can accidentally ingest it and choke or have their intestines blocked so I am not considering it at all)

C) live plants? plastic? silk? - - have heard they can really damage live plants and uproot them....

D) are internal or external "waterfall" filters best?

E) how do you sex them?

F) I do not want to breed, will it be bad if I keep 2 of the same sex together? (are males territorial etc?)

and please feel free to give me any other info/tips you can!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New! interested in axolotls

To start you off, I will mention that the guy who runs this site also runs Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander, and Caudata.org, which will be great places to go for reliable information and to ask questions along the way.

I'll try to answer the questions you have for now:

Quote Originally Posted by piiglet View Post
    A) how many will be ok in a 10 gallon?
    One. You're right that there's a debate going on over exactly how much room they need. Because they poop a lot and get quite large, a 10 gallon tank would be an absolute minimum, (and some people would suggest that you go larger to ensure your axolotl has enough room to move around).

B) is it better to have sand substrate or river rock substrate? (have read that gravel is bad because they can accidentally ingest it and choke or have their intestines blocked so I am not considering it at all)
    You've read correctly about gravel. The rule of thumb is that, if it is smaller than their skull, they can probably ingest it. The problem with rocks (once you go that large) is that they trap debris (i.e. poop and food), and so it's harder to keep the water clean. For this reason, most owners go with bare bottomed tanks or sand.

C) live plants? plastic? silk? - - have heard they can really damage live plants and uproot them....
    Live plants will be fine. Unless firmly secured, there's a chance of uprooting, but if you go for the easy-to-grow, hard-to-kill species, you should be fine. (And many plants can grow floating, so that's a plus). Plastic/silk are ok as long as there aren't any sharp edges.

D) are internal or external "waterfall" filters best?
    The main concern is to keep the tank current-free, as axolotls prefer still water and are stressed by currents. There are a number of ways to do this, so poke around the sites I linked above.

E) how do you sex them?
    Once they're mature, males will have more of a bulge than females.

F) I do not want to breed, will it be bad if I keep 2 of the same sex together? (are males territorial etc?)
    In a ten gallon, you really won't be able to keep two.

Have fun searching for more info.

AmandaChau

Welcome to the site.

Musicpanda

I thank you for the links

And to piiglet Hi!

Thread Information