Thread: New to Pacmans

Nationality
    [United States]

Smile New to Pacmans

Hello,
    As the title suggests, I am new to Pacman frogs, but I have some experience with salamanders and African Clawed Frogs. I purchased my little Pacman about two days ago. I have been watching the forums and doing my research. Temperature is 80-81F in the day and drops to 75-76F in the night. The Pacman is bigger than a quarter but smaller than a pingpong ball. I have some questions and some problems I would like some advice on.

I have the little guy in a 10 gallon already, because my cats can tip over a critter keeper. They don't seem to notice him much in there unless the crickets are moving a lot. I have read just about every feeding thread there is on the forum, but I can't get the little guy to eat what the Petstore told me he should. They said he had been eating about 3 crickets a day, and there were large crickets in with him when I got him. I had read on this forum that he should be fed something a little smaller (those crickets were almost the length of the frog!) so I got mediums. I have been able to get him to eat about one cricket a day so far. Is this adequate? I'm used to all my other amphibians that chow down endlessly, so a frog not being hungry is a little strange to me, especially a species that is supposed to eat voraciously. I think he may still be adjusting. He seems scared of me still, and he tucks his eyes down when I put a cricket close.

Eventually this guy was supposed to be a class pet (a look only, no touching class pet). I'm not sure I want to do this now, with him being so shy. No kids would ever come into contact with him, but I don't want to make him move to a new building. I was going to wait until next year after he got large, so he could get used to being tong fed, ect. I'm not sure what I want to do now.

Any tips on feeding? Would a Pacman be okay as a "hands off" class pet for observation only? I might just take him in a few days a year to visit...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: New to Pacmans

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your temps are ok, if you could get a steady 82f that would be better not its not life or death if you can get 80-81f. You should try and aim for about 75% humidity, you don't really want it higher 80% and no lower then 60%. Make sure you change the water dish everyday even if he doesn't use it, the water dish is like a bacteria breeding ground if not taken care of. For the feeding if you have only had him a few days and he has eaten something don't start to stress yet, sometimes they can take up to like a week to settle in and start eating and acting normal. He will eventually come around and start not being so afraid of the tongs to, just keep at it and he will get the hang of it. Sometimes if you rub the cricket under his bottom lip this gets them to strike, or as weird as it sounds my pacman if you touch her foot with the food she bites at it right away. Some take longer then others with the tongs but they do usually come around. THe big crickets you are right are way to big for him right now. The rule is you don't want the feeder to be wider then the space between his eyes. For being a class pet I think the loud noise and such may scare him and stress him out, and when they become very stressed it lowers there immune system leaving them accessible to illness and disease. All and all your doing alright and just keep trying with the tongs and as long as hes eating something you should be good, like I mentioned he will get the hang of it and then he will seem like he could just keep eating all day. Oh and make sure you dust his food with a good calcium+D3 vitamin and multivitamin, but give these on opposite nights. If you get the Repashy calcium plus it contains all 3 and this way you can give it all at once but if there separate then always on different nights. I use the Repashy product and find it to be the one of the best if not the best vitamin and its meant to be used with every feeding. So keep doing what your doing and he should start acting normal and congrats on your first Pacman frog. And if you can find this book AVS Chacoan horned frogs by Philippe de Vosjoli its probably the best book out there for you to read and your students if you wanted them to learn abit about the frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hmm. I think he will probably just stay at my house. I have been dusting the crickets, but I think it all comes off as they crawl around in the tank. I couldn't find Repashy at the store so I just got Rep-cal for now (vitamins and Calcium with D3) Might switch to Repashy later. I think I may need to get even smaller crickets. I will just stop bugging him for now :P Also, I will post a picture later, but I think he's a blue samurai. He's a light blueish with a few spots.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Some frogs like fire belly toads and some of the poison dart frogs are a lot bolder and would make for a nice show piece for the kids to watch and learn but ya these guys get stressed easy and do better in quiet places. And during the day they bury themselves so the kids would never really get to see him and if you dug him up to show him to the class he would not be very happy. A trick for the crickets when you just drop them in is take the back legs of them, this way they cant use them to rub the dust off and it slows them down a lot which makes it easier for him to catch.

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, I will try taking off the legs. I was thinking about getting dart frogs instead, but I really love the pacmans I might get darts when I get a house instead of an apartment. Thanks for the advise

Nationality
    [Canada]

No problem at all that's what the forums here for.

8. This member thanks monster for this post:

Thread Information