Thread: New, unusually lazy behavior

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New, unusually lazy behavior

I posted a while back that I had a pacman frog for about 10 years that passed away. The new frog I have was roughly 1.5 inches svl, a few months ago, he is now between 2.5 and 3" svl. I started him on tong feeding because I hate looking at bugs crawling around and my planted tank actually grows out of the aquarium so it is like a ladder for bugs to get out. I started him on night crawlers as a staple with occasional roaches and crickets if the local place has them.

The odd behavior is his total lack of feeding aggression. Since I started with the tongs, we go through a routine. His lights come on at 0700 (on a timer), I get in around 0800-0830 by that time the temperature is around 80 degrees. He was resistant to the tongs at first he would bury his nose in the substrate and ignore me, after about 3 weeks of nudging he would grab at the worm and about 50% of the time he would take it down, the other half I would have to start over and nudge him again.

I started putting a deli cup lid under his mouth so that he would keep his head up and the worm wouldn't make a mess of my enclosure, it is kind of a show piece in my office. For the last several weeks, I open the top of the enclosure, place the lid in front of him, and he basically leans forward onto it, and opens his mouth a little as soon as he sees me reaching toward him with the worm. I put the end of the worm in and he'll chomp down, the worm flails around for a few seconds and he'll cram the rest of it in with his front leg, I do this process with 2-4 night crawlers depending on the size of the worm. No striking, no thrashing, no batting the worm with his feet. He is healthy, almost exactly as long as he is wide, defecates weekly in his water (almost always over the weekend, I do a 90% water change every Monday morning), his colors look good (no blotches or redness), his eyes are clear, and he still sounds off every morning when I turn on the office light. He is fed night crawlers MWF and bugs either canned or live TTh if they are available and then left alone for the weekend.

I can't decide if he is just the laziest of the laziest frogs in the world, or he has just knuckled under to the routine (I am a little OCD about timing). If I feed him a cricket or roach, it is the same process, but one quick bite and gone. It is like he is daring me to put my finger in there. He is moving around, he alternates his day time bed down spot between the bases of the two largest philodendrons. After he eats, I can hear him shuffling a little settling in and then he is content for the day.

My old frog was really good about routine, but always had a shockingly fast and violent feed response, that one would sit perfectly still until the tongs were an inch or two from its mouth and then would lunge, bat around front feet and do a little victory dance of sorts where it would hop kind of hop a few quarter turns back and forth before settling back in.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: New, unusually lazy behavior

Hello,

Sounds to me that you just got a lazy frog, I have one that is the same. She will eat but its not as aggressive as it was when she was baby. I have to put it right in front her and she just eats it very calmly, my male ornate on the other hand is lunging at everything. Is it a Cranwelli? They aren't as aggressive eaters as the ornates. I would keep an eye out for any other signs he may ill but all in all I think you just got a frog that's used to his feeding routine and is just a lazy eater.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New, unusually lazy behavior

Both of mine have been Cranwellis. It is unique to me how different their personalities have been. My previous frog was near silent, an aggressive eater, and if I didn't point out where the frog was, you would never know, always tucked in somewhere with basically just the top of the head exposed. This one never fully buries in the substrate so he is always visible, he is lazy, and pretty loud (relatively) for a minute or two when I first turn the light on. The husbandry is nearly identical.

Now that he is on a really tight schedule, I am going to run a fecal over to the vet. Just as a precaution, I do that with my birds periodically too, it is a cheap lab test and give a piece of mind.

Thread Information