Thread: 8mo Pacman with bump on upper right cheek - Pictures inside

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default 8mo Pacman with bump on upper right cheek - Pictures inside

Hello all, been lurking for a while, but haven’t posted in this forum yet. I have an albino Pacman frog that is around 8 to 9 months old. Her right cheek seems lumpy.. There is a lump on the left cheek too, but not as large, maybe half the size. I was wondering if this normal?

I took some pictures, but they don’t really show the lump well. I’ll try to get some top down shots when she has her next bath. You can still see something in these shots though. In fact, it looks like her top jaw seems to go in a bit just in front of the lump.

I’m feeding her Nightcrawlers as the staple, that I dust Rep-Cal Calcium /w D3 every feeding and vitamins on the weekend. I am conservative with my dusting, was afraid of over-dusting if that is possible.

P.S. I’m saying “Her” just because I have a feeling.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: 8mo Pacman with bump on upper right cheek - Pictures inside

Hi,

Its very hard to see, I think a top shot like you mentioned might be a better angle. I was going to say maybe a cyst but if its on both sides I don't know if it would be that. When you touch the lumps are they hard or are they soft?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi again, I found this morning on a vet website and found it to be a pretty good article, it may help you with figuring out what is causing the bump.

Frogs don't typically require a lot of medical attention but sometimes pet frogs develop lumps, bumps, or growths that you can't explain. What may look like a small bump can actually be a parasitic infestation, a pus filled abscess, or other serious afflictions.
    Parasites

Some types of parasites actually burrow into skin and others try to burrow their way out. Tapeworm larvae are one of those types of parasites that seem to burrow their way out. When a frog ingests the egg of a tapeworm (Spirometra or Sparganum spp.) the egg hatches in the intestinal tract, turns into a larvae, and then proceeds to migrate to the skin layer or muscles in a frog. This creates a lump, or growth, on the outside of your frog. This infestation is not only traumatizing to you but also to your poor little frog. The growth needs to be seen by your exotics vet to confirm the infestation and to receive treatment.
    Abscesses

If your frog gets a wound that becomes infected an abscess may form.

An abscess is a pocket filled with pus, which in frogs, is a chunky, white substance. This white substance is a mixture of white blood cells and bacteria and accumulates under the skin. Sometimes an abscess will burst and start draining on it's own if enough pus builds up under the skin but usually your exotics vet will need to lance the abscess to allow it to drain. The lump of pus may also need to be cleaned out and your frog may be prescribed antibiotics.
    Tumors

Just like other animals, frogs can develop tumors of various types. Both benign and malignant cancers can form along with other kinds of growths. Depending on what kind of tumor it is and the location of the tumor it may or may not cause a problem for your frog.
    Skeletal Deformities

Some frogs aren't born completely "normal," others get deformed from a traumatic incident and still some will develop abnormally due to nutrition and husbandry problems. Your frog may be able to lead a very normal life if he has a lump that is just a skeletal deformity but other deformities, like on the legs, may affect your frog's quality of life.
    Cysts

A cyst is filled with cystic (similar to pus) material but is non-cancerous. It may burst on it's own or need to be lanced by your exotics vet. It does not bother your frog.
    Foreign Bodies

Sometimes objects protrude inside your frog that gives it an appearance of a lump and other times a foreign object inside your frog migrates out of the body and forms an actual lump on the outside of your frog. Regardless, a foreign body requires medical attention. Ingested moss, dirt, sticks, and other foreign objects can cause a large bulge on one side of your frog, giving you the impression that it has a lump. Ingested sharp objects such as pine needles and small sticks can actually penetrate through the intestines and into the body wall of your frog and create an actual lump. These objects that are protruding can be easily removed by your exotics vet by creating a stab incision and pulling the object out, usually without sedation. But if your frog has ingested something he shouldn't have he may require medical attention to help him pass the object. Soaking him in warm water will encourage him to pass it though.
    If your frog has a lump of any kind it is recommended to get it checked by your exotics vet. It may be a simple fix or nothing to worry about at all or it may be a nasty infection that requires antibiotics.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi Cory,

Thanks for the wonderful information. I'm starting to think it may just be a skeletal deformity. While the bump on the right is larger than the one on the left, they both feel the same, like there is bone under the skin. The right side of the jaw seems to protrude in slightly compared to the left. I believe these lumps are part of the ear drum and surrounding skeletal structure. My frog just seems to have one that is asymmetrical to the other.

It was bath night tonight, so I got some more shots, but it's hard presenting a 3 dimensional object in a 2 dimensional picture...

I'm not as concerned anymore, he is eating and voiding well, and seems to be behaving normally ...as far as I can imagine how a captive Pacman frog would act that is.

Thanks for replying, it has set my mind at ease.

Nationality
    [Canada]

It very well could be as you said just a skeletal deformity, I would keep an eye on it though.

Thread Information