Thread: Some new problems

Musicpanda

Unhappy Some new problems

I still haven't noticed Hugo leaving any litter in his substrate for weeks now I'm really worried, weird thing is that he eats as normal, and moves around like normal. But here's the thing, it's 6 o clock in the morning in Sweden and he began to make some real weird noises, sounds like a squeeze toy sound... I'm not sure if he's just rubbing against the bottom of the plexi-glass but that doesn't seem to be it cause I hear it frequently once every minute and he's still at the same spot not moving what I can tell. The other problem I have except the ones already mentioned is that I yesterday found some mould at his plants (I've been having problems keeping the moisture level below 80%). and today I saw some mould (I think) on some of his substrate, so now I'm thinking about changing all of it even if it's not dirty, but what about my frog? Could he be sick from it? He doesn't look constipated btw so it's really weird the whole situation...

Please help me everyone...

*UPDATE*
    He/she stopped making the sound after 10 minutes... began doing it when his day lamp turned on 6 o clock...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Some new problems

Looks like a lump of coconut husk. Hopefully it's the only piece.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Musicpanda

It's a lump of coconut, but how would you act in my place? Should I change the substrate? I checked 7-8 other lumps.. and they had none. And about the litter problem can't the frog end up real sick if I don't find his litter and toss it out, and the other way if he isn't doing number 2 he will get impacted... :S

Julia

If the mold was found in only one spot then I would recommend leaving the substrate for now. Keep an eye on it and if you find more over the next few days then replace it.

The sounds you were hearing from your frog, did it sound anything like this?
    YouTube - Ornate Pacman Frog croaking!

Musicpanda

Okay thanks Julia I'll keep and eye out! About the croaking, I'm not sure now, I know since before how a Pacman should sound but maybe it's a attempt to croak? Always been unsure if my Pacman is a he or she, I heard the sound some minutes after the lamp turned on as mentioned above, maybe he think he's a rooster. :S

Question remaining about the toilet needs... who will replace the question marks for me?

Julia

Lol sorry I can not answer your question about the lack of feces. Although I keep several different types of lizards and frogs, I have never had a Pacman. With my Bearded Dragon sometimes he waits up to 2 weeks to go to the bathroom. I know for lizards you place them in warm water and it helps them go. My frogs on the other hand seem to go nonstop so I've never had to deal with them in that way. Hopefully someone with experience with Pacman frogs can answer that question for you. Good luck!

What generally works for me is when I put the animal in shallow warm water(not boiling. or uncomfortable). Put the frog on there leave it for a couple of hours(make sure its shallow so only half the body is covered). If it doesnt take a dump take it to the vet. Mostlikely has intestinal blockage. That is why I hate to use coco husk. I prefer using regular soil.

Musicpanda

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    What generally works for me is when I put the animal in shallow warm water(not boiling. or uncomfortable). Put the frog on there leave it for a couple of hours(make sure its shallow so only half the body is covered). If it doesnt take a dump take it to the vet. Mostlikely has intestinal blockage. That is why I hate to use coco husk. I prefer using regular soil.
    Yah it can be bad with coco husk but I check when he's eating and he's good at spitting out everything that's not food. Okay, I'll try that tomorrow but shouldn't husk pass? I mean If I ate some dirt I wouldn't die, and the coco is much more soft. Isn't it weird btw if he would have eaten like 16 cockroaches and not looking like a ballon and not taking a dump? He must have a hidden place... I just know it... ><

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I definitely wouldn't keep pacman frogs on coconut husk. Use coconut fiber (coir).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Musicpanda

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I definitely wouldn't keep pacman frogs on coconut husk. Use coconut fiber (coir).
    Okay i better change it then, have to wait though until I move in a month, it's hopeless to get coco fiber in this town, they only sell its husk counterpart, and it's the same on internet all coco fiber is sold out every time you look. Stupid substrate I use from exoterra even had a pacman frog on it's packaging... didn't think it would be that dangerous then.

About the water bath today, how "warm" is warm? Should it be a little warm for me or can it be shower warm? Celsius someone?

One more question is Exo terra Jungle bark or Forest bark better? Still can't find any coco fiber...

*UPD@TE*
    He's done it! And it was really big... 1/3 of his size (if you put them together 2 lumps)... Didn't look like any substrate was in it but there's a lot of shells parts from roaches, maybe I shouldn't give him roaches as often? Try to vary his food more? Have no idea why he hasn't done "it" before maybe the water in his bowl hasn't been warm enough for he hasn't bathed that much lately. Should I stop feeding him now for some days and give him some more baths if there's "more" that hasn't come out yet? I think I'll just feed him in his water bowl to avoid impaction until I move. Love ya all!
    Last edited by Musicpanda; July 25th, 2010 at 01:25 AM.

Julia

Thats good news! Have you tried going to gardening stores or hydroponic stores? Thats where I get my coco fiber. Its sold as "organic orchid grower" and it comes in dried up cubes at the nursery. At the hydroponic store I got a huge bag already hydrated...its much cheaper then using the pet store stuff....I have been using it for a year with no problems.

Jeff Boyardee

I wouldn't use anything with bark in it. Like John said, use coconut fiber. Like eco earth, or bed-a-beast. If you can't find that, organic topsoil would be better than husk or bark.

Also, if he dropped one 1/3 of his size, I'd guess he won't go again for a while.

Musicpanda

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    Thats good news! Have you tried going to gardening stores or hydroponic stores? Thats where I get my coco fiber. Its sold as "organic orchid grower" and it comes in dried up cubes at the nursery. At the hydroponic store I got a huge bag already hydrated...its much cheaper then using the pet store stuff....I have been using it for a year with no problems.
    Nope, I thought that those products might me built on one big lie... you never know in modern society what's in products :I But I'm gonna check it out thanks! I usually feed my pacman in his waterbowl, think I'll stick with that untill I can change substrate again after I've moved. Do you use anything besides orchid grower coco fiber um... thingy I once had coco fiber and I thought it got a little to swamp like after a short while of misting. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Boyardee View Post
    I wouldn't use anything with bark in it. Like John said, use coconut fiber. Like eco earth, or bed-a-beast. If you can't find that, organic topsoil would be better than husk or bark.

Also, if he dropped one 1/3 of his size, I'd guess he won't go again for a while.
    Yah maybe he feels "empty" now

Thread Information