Thread: Are these types of moss safe?

Cool Are these types of moss safe?

I tried finding some sphagnum moss but all the places that I went to today were very rude and resiliant to help me so I picked out a few things that were similar. I dont want to introduce my new babys to anything that would be dangerous to them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Are these types of moss safe?

Also should i rinse these out if it's decided they are safe for use?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Just use the coco fiber. It's much more safer if your frog accidentally eat it.

I always feed in a separate container. I have just a few more bricks left so I was trying to switch up the substrate a bit.. What types of moss's can i grow/buy for use in their terrariums? I'll see if anyone has used these before or not...

Nationality
    [United States]

If you use ANY moss be sure to soak it and change the water several times; some of those mosses have dyes and/or are treated with insecticides when harvested to make sure there are no bugs. I assume the ones designated for pets are better but why assume when you can be safe.
    Phyllomedusa sauvagii 3.0.1, Strawberry hermit crabs 1.1.0, 10 purple pinchers, African Grey 1.0.0, Alexandrine 1.0.0, Half Moon Conure 0.1.0 , Ivory-billed Aricari 1.0.0

I just read a few things about the sheet moss being dyed... although its brown as **** xD
    i looked up the same product online but it was green in the picture so i think they just sold me it to get it off inventory -_- i'll try using it in the garden i guess..

I also found out that theres two types of sphagnums, one of which that i have here. Chilean sphagnum moss aka orchid moss basically the same thing as the new zealand species.... hope i helped someone else out if theyre also wondering this same thing

Nationality
    [United States]

I know you said that you feed in a feeder tank away from the substrate but I'd still be careful. I noticed one morning before work I was spraying down Lunchbox's home and it snapped at a piece of dirt that moved from being sprayed. I removed my moss because it seems to love the coco fiber anyway, I just use a couple small plastic plants to keep it lively.

I'd like to get regular moss that's more like a carpet. I have a bunch besides my house and I took a decent sized slab, I'm quarantining it for the time being. I have a peice I kept in quarantine for about a month and used with my adults but I'm trying to let it grow more in a 10gal..

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I use zoo meds New Zealand sphagnum moss and found it to be a great product, can be rinsed a few times before discarding and is safe enough if patting down well. Although impaction is still there with moss, in the wild animals are not pampered and come across many unsafe substrates. I find sphagnum moss works great for high humidity amphibians such as tropicals or babies or animals kept under intense heat lamps which may be drying even to semi-arid animals

Nationality
    [United States]

If you're interested in a 'carpet. You might like this, I haven't ever tried it but it looks interesting
    http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Carpet...rrarium+carpet
    Cheap too, but I would still leave substrate for the frog to burrow, they need to burrow or they will always be high strung and unhappy.

I have a bunch of foilage inside with the sphagnum. I do agree that they feel more secure burrowed. They're nickel to quarter size so I thought it'd be a pain to constantly clean them off being so fragile.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Thread Information