Thread: do red eyed tree frog eat ants

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default do red eyed tree frog eat ants

i was wondering if red eyed tree frogs or other tree frogs for that matter eat ants? i'm planning on getting some retf in a couple months after my vivarium is finished but was wondering if they eat ant? i don't mean as a staple that'll be crickets of course, i'm just wondering not planning on even feeding them ants... just a thought, like if one had a queen in a formicarium and was in control of there food source... again only as treat or variety for the frogs and i'm not going to just wondering

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: do red eyed tree frog eat ants

No, ants are way to small, and may cause injury if left alone. Crickets are a good staple, but should be fed alternatively with Dubia roaches and whole or chopped Canadian night-crawlers for a balanced diet. One other thing I may add, you may want to add UVB to help your frog get Vitamin D, and be all around healthier and more colorful. Here is our care-sheet if you haven't seen it: http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...nis-callidryas And I look forward to seeing the new frogs and their setup!

4. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I don't even know if they would associate ants as a food source. The reason I say this is because were RETF's would come from a lot of the ants are very lethal to small animals, there sting packs enough punch to kill the frog. Like a bullet ant for instance, this ant grows to a inch long which is like half the size of the frog. I know it may be hard to imagine but you never know, you think they would be smart enough to stay away from things that will kill them. If they did eat ants a lot of the ones we have here are very small and very fast, and the bigger species the Carpenter ant I can honestly say you wouldn't want that ant to bite your frog because it would leave a mark and could possibly get infected. I use to keep a huge ant colony of carpenters and it stings abit when they get you, and they will stand up for themselves if need be. I watched about 20 carpenter ants devour a huge junebug within about 20 mins, to the point they were crawling in and out of the bug eating his insides. They may be small but they are very determined little insects, especially when threatened.

6. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

A baby may very well go for ants. Some places sell harvester ants as feeders. Mainly for species like Horned lizards but a baby frog may take them or darts. I believe ants give off a bad odor or sprey something when they feel threatened of im not mistaken so some frogs may shy away. Or are they just spicy? Cant remember. Still seems like more of a hastle to farm ants they can climb out of anything so your enclosure would have to be 100% sealed. Plus the effort of licking them all up wouldnt seem worth it for the frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

I say no!! One of the most traumatic experiences of my life-I had 20 beautiful baby Jackson's chameleons painstakingly raised with fruitflies, etc. for a month and put outside in a bare screen cage for a little sun (dappled shade). Fifteen minutes later I returned to the cage swarmed with ants, and all of the chams twitching and dying slowly. Lost them all
    Phyllomedusa sauvagii 3.0.1, Strawberry hermit crabs 1.1.0, 10 purple pinchers, African Grey 1.0.0, Alexandrine 1.0.0, Half Moon Conure 0.1.0 , Ivory-billed Aricari 1.0.0

9. 3 members thank Monkey Business for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh well that's sad! At least you learned from it, if that's any consolation

Nationality
    [Canada]

Monkey Business that's so sad, darn ants. And for the OP some ants around here will allow the colony to have more then one Queen so you wouldn't want to make a mistake and put a queen in there by accident because if she wasn't eaten there is a great chance she would lay eggs in your viv. That wouldn't be good because she can start a whole new colony on her own. The carpenter ant I know will allow one and wont accept another if the queen is killed and they will eventually die off because they live for the eggs. This is how I lost my colony, I was cleaning the tank one day and I squished the queen by accident. They carried her dead body around for days and within about a month they all died off. I would have to agree with Monkey Business that's it may not be worth the risk.

Member needs to set country!

It is looking fearful that red eyes frogs are eating the ants with their long attacked tongue and ants are useless to runaway. Green colors of the frog are fine that on ultius review pages of the YouTube have videos but red eyes looking so much ugly.

Thread Information