Thread: Some Questions Before I get my Pacman

tattoofix

Talking Some Questions Before I get my Pacman

Ok, I set up the tank before i got the Frog to get the Heat a Humidity right... my humidity is easy to Fix.. BUT.. my Temp Fluxs between 65-70.. And I barely Get any Life in that part of the Room, so I dont know If I should get a Heat Lamp, or a Heat Coil.. im thinking the Coil would be Too hot.. But, i just need a thought, misting isnt a problem Since I can Turn the light off at night and just Cover the Tank... So yeah, thoughts? OH and Pebbles on the bottom of the Water Dish? Would that work because its Deep, And i want to Raise it a bit.. HELP! PLEASE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Some Questions Before I get my Pacman

I would be very careful using a heating coil/matt with frogs that dig into the dirt or can touch the sides of the tank; they can easily get burned. I am not sure about the temp requirements for a pacman, but I know using a heat lamp may also be too warm unless you can get it just right, and it may dry out the setup quicker, which means more mistings. Pebbles would be okay as long as they were not small enough for your frog to swallow. Most frogs have a "try to eat it first, spit it out later" attitude and it could end badly for your frog. Best of luck!

tattoofix

ok, And I also Had a Question, I got a Coco husk block... Should I take Some Of it out and Replace it With Something like the Eco earth? im worried About him eating it.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ive been told that coco husk wouldn't be the best for a frog that likes to dig, I think Eco Earth would be better.

jelkins

You know if you have a safe place to keep it's cage outside right now like a screened-in porch, deck or something you could forego lamps, heat-coils and the like for the time being. I'm not sure where you live but right now, here in KY, the outside temps and humidity are ideal for these frogs. Put it somewhere where it's shaded and safe. I'm currently keeping mine in a large critter keeper with a vented top on my porch and it's doing very well.

Jace

Impaction can occur with any substrate if enough of it was swallowed-some are less ideal than others. When I had my pacman (years ago), I kept him on a bed of Eco Earth, and I use that with most of my frogs as 98% of mine like to dig and cover themselves. I am sure a mixture of the two would be alright-just pick out any really obvious pieces of the husk.

Jeff Boyardee

I only use eco earth for my pacs. It holds moiture great, and is perfect for them to dig into.

Your temps are ok for night time, but for the day they should be around 82 degrees.

They don't need UVA or UVB, so I use 50W infrared heat lamps. I mist my tanks at night, and add some water to the eco earth as needed. I've never had a problem with the lamps drying the soil too much.

Thread Information