Thread: My Pacman Hasn't Eaten in 3 Months

Nationality
    [United States]

Default My Pacman Hasn't Eaten in 3 Months

I joined this site because I've researched for answer to this problem countless hours and I can't find anything to help. I'm getting desperate.

At first I thought it was due to the weather sense he stopped eating right about when winter hit, but this is getting ridiculous. He was 6 months old when I got him in May of 2015. He was a good size, breeder told me he's a samurai blue but I didn't really care what he was, I just fell in love with him at first sight. He's very vocal. The breeder also told he only eats mice so I was feeding him a pinkie a week for a few months and everything was fine. I read that it is not heathy for frogs to eat only mice, so i started introducing other food items. I gave him crickets, he struck and ate right away when he saw them but after his first 3 he would never touch a cricket again no matter how many times I offered. I gave him a earthworm and he did take a bite, but spit it out immediately and began screaming. I've tried waxworms, mealworms, super worms, hornworms, and he won't even try any of those. I gave up and went back to mice but now, he won't eat those either. He hasn't eaten in 3 months.

I tried force feeding, and it's incredibly hard to get him to open his mouth, but the few times I've been successful, he's spit the food item out.

He's in a 10 gallon with about 4 inches of EchoEarth substrate. He's got a shallow water tub and I keep the enclosure between 70-80 humidity. The tank is around 82-85 F during the day and 70 F at night. The frog is always under the substrate as far as he can go and I keep one side half covered so he doesn't get scared seeing people and other pets walking around. I also give him a bath once a week and he always pees and sheds some. I do not know when his last dedication was.

My frog has not lost any weight which is the most confusing part. He still does his calls at night and acts perfectly normal except for the fact he hasn't eaten in so long. I'm worried something is seriously wrong.

If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated. If I'm doing something wrong please don't hesitate to let me know, we're not all perfect amphibian experts and I can accept that, I just want to do what is best for my buddy. Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: My Pacman Hasn't Eaten in 3 Months

correct me if im wrong but dont they do that sometime in the cold months?

Nationality
    [United States]

They indeed do from what i've heard, but only for a month to two months. My frog will be approaching 4 months soon. I wasn't worried at first but now everyone is telling me something is definitely wrong with him so it's got me stressed. If I'm freaking out over nothing though, that would be really good news!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, I think your frog is fine and has just slowed down for the winter. My 1 and couple month old female did this all winter also. She went from eating once a week to eating maybe once a month. She didn't form the hard skin that they get when in full estivation but she would bury for weeks on end and just get up to shed/poop/ eat and then right back down. The last 4 days since it has warmed up she has been up everynight and last night and the first night she ate like there was no tomorrow, but I will go back to the once a week feeding now that she has been stuffed with worms. I also kept temps and humidity the same as it always is and she still went abit dormant, I believe they can really feel changes in pressure in the air stuff and that's why they do it even though keep things the same in there tank. All and all I think he should be ok but if you do feel there is something wrong maybe take him for a trip to the vet. Also if he isn't eating and you feel he needs a little boost of energy you can give him a bath with pedialyte in it. Make sure it is the unflavoured kind ( it will be clear ) make a mix of it with a 1:10 ratio. So for every 1 oz of pedialyte add 10 oz of declorinated warm water and let him sit in this for about 20 mins in a nice quiet and dark room and you can put a towel over the tub to keep the heat in. This should give him a nice a little boost of energy, I gave mine one of these before dinner the other night and it helped her a lot. Hope this helps abit and yes you are right when he does start eating again try and get him off the mice and get him eating something else, mice all the time is not good for them.
    Last edited by monster; March 7th, 2016 at 11:31 AM.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Cory, that makes me feel a little more at ease. I haven't heard of the pedialyte thing before, I may try that =) Mine also hasn't gotten the hard sack from estivation and is very responsive and vocal while I clean so I didn't think that had anything to do with it. Like you are saying, you frog at least ate some while mine hasn't touched anything in 3 and 1/2 months and spits out anything I put in his mouth so that was my biggest concern. Hopefully there will be a change in him soon!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Even though she ate a few times she wasn't very eager to get it into her mouth, I would kind of have to bug her with it till she would eat it. She would never eat more then one big nightcrawler. If It was up to her she would have probably been happy with nothing, it was more for me to put my mind at ease knowing she had ate something. And to be very honest I shouldn't have even done that, I should have just let her be. She is a grump on a normal day, you should see how mad she gets when you disturb her from her beauty rest or annoy her with food she doesn't want. I think she ate out of anger not because she was hungry. L.O.L

Nationality
    [United States]

So, it's been over another month that has gone by and still nothing. My frog hasn't eaten in almost 5 months now and though he's still acting totally normal, I've begun to see the weight loss. I tried the pedialyte thing and all it did was make him hope around and vocalize more. He still will spit out everything I put in his mouth and I'm worried I'm just stressing him out by doing this but it just looks like he's starting to deteriorate now and I don't want him to die =( Any other tips of suggestions?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What are you using for heating? And is the substrate moist?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey sorry to hear things haven't gotten better. IMO you may want to try looking for a herp vet, they can see the frog and do tests that we cant do over the internet and if hes loseing weight it may be time for the trip. The one I was talking about of mine that had slowed down is now up every night for the last few weeks and is eating normally, this is what is making me think he needs to go the vet and that there is something else wrong with him besides just slowing down for a few months. Most the time when these guys estivate once they wake up they have 2 things on there mind, food and some loving so its not normal he doesn't want to eat if this was case.

Just out of curiosity how do you feed him? Do you still try force feeding or drop in some feeders and let him go for it? Sometimes my little guy will seem disinterested when I drop in food but will eat once I go away and stop staring at him. Also, I have some of that Zoo Med Pacman frog food which he won't eat when I wave in front of his face with tongs, but when I put it on the ground and wiggle it around he lunges at it like a spider monkey.

So perhaps it's a behavioral thing and your frog just prefers a certain way of eating? I'm no expert and only have a few months of experience but it's something you could consider if you haven't already.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Pacman frogs can be fed by tongs or by putting the insects inside the tank. By feeding by tongs you ensure supplements do not get shaken off before the frog eats the food, on the other hand this encourages the frog not to hunt and then they may not be interested in meals unless large. they're also very lazy. I've not tried the zoomed pacman food but I have tried the repashy meat pie or something, suggested for horned frogs anyway, and my frog did not seem interested. But if you're frog is interested in it and will eat it it could be very good as part of a varied diet but I would not feed on it exclusively, horned frogs benefit from a very varied diet, with supplements.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Jason I think he was asking the OP and not me because his frog wont eat. And DG Kim I really think something is wrong with this guys frog though and its not the way hes presenting the food. The way these guys eat if he was just being a picky eater his hunger would have taken over by now and he would have eaten something. Something is wrong and killing his appetite more then likely which is why he should seek vet help soon if he hasn't eaten since his last post. And once they get bigger unless you drop a mouse or something large in there he isn't going to be chasing anything, they are sit and wait predators. They lose that baby energy and this is why I think tong feeding is good because then you know that he is going to eat and catch his food, this why its good to train them when their young. And when they are bigger this means there mouth is bigger and if they miss there prey there tongue is going to pick up a lot substrate which is high risk for impaction. There tongues are strong, I will start a another thread with an article about them that I found very cool.

14. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

So I'm a little curious as to what you mean when you say your frog is vocalizing. Is he actually making a mating call or just kind of squeaking about things. My male ornate will making noises when being handled, and much more so when he isn't feeling well like the couple times he has been a bit impacted. I am under the impression that these vocalizations are out of pain or discomfort. The true calling only seems to occur when he is in a good mood and feeling well.

For the worms, they don't like the taste of anything other than nightcrawlers, the others give off a flavor they don't like. If it's bad enough they may avoid any worm, they are smarter about their food than you might realize.

If he's actually spitting out the food, take him to a vet.

Any update on your frog? I am having the same issue with my frog, he doesnt want to eat anymore. I am going on 3 weeks now, no where near 5 months. I am curious if your started to eat or no still?

Thread Information