Thread: Feeding and 'taming' tips for an easily stressed whites tree frog.

Default Feeding and 'taming' tips for an easily stressed whites tree frog.

I recently bought 2 whites tree frogs from a pet shop, one adult frog and one juvenile. They both appear to get on well with each other and the adult frog responds well to human interaction. The younger frog however gets stressed easily and turns brown when i try to handle him which makes feeding him difficult. i would prefer to monitor his intake of food rather than just placing crickets in their enclosure for them to find but this is difficult as i cannot feed him in a separate tub as he gets scared and clings to the side of the box and wont eat anything and when i do place crickets in his tank and place him next to them he gets scared and jumps away. i dont believe he is ill since i have seen him eat crickets in his tank on his own and he does not look underweight.

Can anyone give me advice on getting him used to human interaction and some ideas on how i can feed him more efficiently and minimize stress for my frog.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding and 'taming' tips for an easily stressed whites tree frog.

Will he get close enough that you can use tweezers or your fingers rather than handling him? You could place him in the box overnight, cover it and see if he relaxes enough to eat anything.

My first White's was very skittish. It took months before he started to trust me, but he eventually did, especially after he got put in a tank with a calm frog. (I don't know if that's related, but he might have at least noticed the other frog didn't panic when I was around.)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Robadob View Post
    I recently bought 2 whites tree frogs from a pet shop, one adult frog and one juvenile. They both appear to get on well with each other and the adult frog responds well to human interaction. The younger frog however gets stressed easily and turns brown when i try to handle him which makes feeding him difficult. i would prefer to monitor his intake of food rather than just placing crickets in their enclosure for them to find but this is difficult as i cannot feed him in a separate tub as he gets scared and clings to the side of the box and wont eat anything and when i do place crickets in his tank and place him next to them he gets scared and jumps away. i dont believe he is ill since i have seen him eat crickets in his tank on his own and he does not look underweight.

Can anyone give me advice on getting him used to human interaction and some ideas on how i can feed him more efficiently and minimize stress for my frog.
    If you want to minimise stress, best bet is to stop handling him and moving him from one enclosure to another, frogs really just need to be left alone. Being in a cage with a larger frog could also be causing stress, you may need to separate them depending on how big the size difference is. I've never really understood why people think they need to hand feed their frogs?
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

5. 2 members thank Diver for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

First off, make sure the smaller tree-frog not only is big enough not to be eaten by the larger frog, (If the smaller one fits in-between the eyes of the larger one, it's time to move him/her!) and second, make sure they're the same species. Pet-stores are infamous for mixing species, which is bad, and best left to experts, and some things just should never go together. (Snake and toad for example, or tiger and gazelle for another) First off, for taming skittish animals, do NOT hold them or bother them in any way. Put their terrarium in a hall-way, or a living room, or a bed-room, so they see you as a part of their environment instead of a vicious predator it sees you now. Eventually graduate to feeding them night-crawlers, (A good staple food btw) or dusted crickets and walking away, feeding them night-crawlers or dusted crickets and watching them, and finally, hand feeding or tong feeding. It won't see you as a threat, and it will probably beg for food when you walk by, (Which is adorable too) and will be the start of a good relationship with your frog. Here's a care-sheet: http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...toria-caerulea and I hope you and your frog grow to like each other!

Thread Information