Thread: New pet

Grenouille

Default New pet

Hey I jut got a Litoria caerulea white's tree frog yesterday for free, she is adorable however I'm not sure how I can tell how old she is, She doesnt croak so I'm assuming its a female.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New pet

Welcome to the forum. Just because it doesn't croak for you, it doesn't mean it's female. White's are pretty hard to sex until they're adults. The main thing is that you enjoy your new pet .
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
    Hey I jut got a Litoria caerulea white's tree frog yesterday for free, she is adorable however I'm not sure how I can tell how old she is, She doesnt croak so I'm assuming its a female.
    Welcome aboard and congratulations.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new frog. Is he/she eating OK? The size might give a rough idea how old your frog is. There is a great care article to the left of this page.

Grenouille

Thank you! I'm glad I found this forum. I'm sure it will help me out! Yeah Yoda is eating well, its is about 3" and its mostly grey but becomes more green at times, is this normal?

Is there any other way of finding out the gender of the frog?

It doesnt have a black spot on the troat or the thumbs. I read that thoes are signs of male in this species.

I was wondering if anyone knows any great books or web sites about creating a terrarium design that would be suitable for this animal. I'm not sure if certain plants or soil types arn't good for the frog.

Thanks again

bshmerlie

Check out the care article to the left. The writer has a very detailed description on housing requirments that will give you the proper set up ideas. Then check out the photo albums and you will see many fine examples from forum members that have set up tree frog tanks. Just remember the whites is a large tree frog so he/she is going to need lots of branches and very sturdy plants to climp on. The pothos is a sturdy plant for tree frogs (I know...I know... I always recommend it but it is such a good plant I can't resist mentioning it again ) Good luck and post pictures when you get yours set up.

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Check out the care article to the left. The writer has a very detailed description on housing requirments that will give you the proper set up ideas. Then check out the photo albums and you will see many fine examples from forum members that have set up tree frog tanks. Just remember the whites is a large tree frog so he/she is going to need lots of branches and very sturdy plants to climp on. The pothos is a sturdy plant for tree frogs (I know...I know... I always recommend it but it is such a good plant I can't resist mentioning it again ) Good luck and post pictures when you get yours set up.
    Thanks for reffering that article.
    It really helps with my beginner questions.

Thread Information