Thread: Adjusting to Captivity?

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Adjusting to Captivity?

I've had my new male cane toad almost a week now. Still learning lots on how to keep him happy (see other long ranting post lol), but he doesn't seem to be adjusting to captivity. He's still young and I've definitely seen him eat a bit, but I've given him a lot of food (meal worms and crickets for now.. will be getting wax worms) and he doesn't have the notorious cane toad appetite I was expecting. He doesn't move around as much as I expected either. Does a lot of crouched sitting. Looks afraid to me. Is it common for toads to take a bit of time to adjust to captivity or should I be worried? Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Adjusting to Captivity?

From what I have heard, cane toads have a hard time adjusting to captivity, but there are a few things you can do to help. (Not sure how well they work, as I have never had a cane toad, but it definitely won't hurt). 1) provide many visual barriers, like driftwood, tropical plants, etc. 2) use live plants, try to re-create it's natural habitat. 3) provide a generous layer of substrate. Once again, I have never had these, but many terrestrial toads like to be partly submerged in substrate. 4) cover the back wall and sides of the tank. This goes with #1, but I thought it would be better as its own separate thought, having larger visual barriers on many sides will help with making the animal as un-stressed (Is that a word?) As possible. Good luck with your toad!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Adjusting to Captivity?

You shouldn't worry. Even some captive bred reptiles or amphibians can take 2 weeks to settle and feed properly, it may take longer for a wild caught but it's a good sign that it's been eating, even if just a little. Just make sure temps/humidity are good and try to leave it alone as much as possible. They're nocturnal and won't come out at night, so it will be inactive during the day.

Thread Information