Thread: WTF Cloudy Eye

Nationality
    [United States]

Default WTF Cloudy Eye

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site! I figured this is the place to get some valuable advice from those who love frogs!

I have had my Whites tree frog for about a month now. I purchased her at a Reptile Show. 5 days ago I noticed her right eye getting cloudy and the lower eyelid was a bit swollen. She was still able to open it but the protective lens (I think that's the word for it) was covering it. There was no change in her behavior and she continued to eat up until Friday night. I feed her 4-6 crickets 3x a week. This last feeding she only ate 1. I read online that saline, for contact lenses, could be used as a first aid for any eye problems. I used Thera Tears as they have no preservatives which is what a different frog forum suggested. After a using the drops a few times a day for 2 days I saw no difference so I discontinued their use. Today, her eye looks like it's almost blind but as you can see she can open it. Her other eye is completely normal.

There have been no major changes in her behavior (other than not eating since late Friday night). She only sits in her water at night, her coloring seems normal, she doesn't appear to have lost any weight, and she is still active at night.

(http://i.imgur.com/eYiJ5bK.jpg)

Tank Details: 12 X 12 X 18 exto terra
    Day Temp: 85 degrees Heated with 60 watt basking light
    Night Temp: 70-72 degrees
    Humidity: 50-80% I spray it with dechlorinated water in the morning and at night
    Substrate: was using moss but switched it out for paper towels for cleanliness

Does anyone know what this is? At first I thought maybe a Vitmamin deficiency but now I'm wondering if it's a bacterial infection. Are there any home remedies for this? I don't want her to be in discomfort and I don't want her eye to get any worse.

Thanks for any advice you guys have! Stella (that's her name) I'm sure will appreciate it too!
    Last edited by DaniAimee; February 22nd, 2016 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Trying to add photo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: WTF Cloudy Eye

Yes, it is eye infection. You need to keep her clean in quarantine, as low stress as possible, that you seems to be doing.
    Get melafix ( fish medication), prepare the solution according the the instructions on a bottle. - use it for everything - spray, put some on an eye too. If no better within 5 days you need vet and prescription antibiotics.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much for the quick response! I got the Melafix and it says 1 teaspoon for every 10 gallons (that was the smallest bottle available). I doubt I'll make that much... Do you think a few drops per standard water bottle would be ok? Also, how often should I put some on her eye? I don't want to over do it and cause more harm than good.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can't overdo it a few times a day will be fine. And to spray too.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Member needs to set country!

Because of my passionate interest in the frogs, I am exploring this website to get related tips and suggestions. In this website, I have read boom essays review and met with plenty of such individuals who love frogs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Hi! When my frogs have had eye infections, our exotic vet has prescribed cipro drops. Have had good results with this. Also, some frogs get cloudy eyes from fat in their eye.

Thread Information