Thread: New to frogs.........please help

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New to frogs.........please help

Hello. Nice to meet you all. I am totally new to this frog thing and had a few questions. I read some of the past posts and figured this was the place to ask. Okay, My 7yr old and I decided to adopt, what we were told were going to be an African Dwarf, but after growing enormously big and cool claws to boot, we now know to be African clawed foots. We also ended up with two. We have a ten gallon tank (filter rocks and plenty of plants) that we started with as they were tadpoles. We let them grow to about 3 or 4 in before moving them to our 75 glln tank. I am absolutely crazy about these guys. what a riot. they are he funniest things ever. playful, interactive, and entertaining as well. as they grew we noticed one growing quite larger than the other. From my readings and inquiries I believe the large is female and the small male (OMG what have I gotten into). Before I go on is there any one who may be able to help me out with a few things. thanx turtle

Default Re: New to frogs.........please help

Ah... I see you have been deceived by the cousins of the African dwarf frog

Also, just wondering, what else is in that 75 gallon tank? If there are any fish, just make sure the frogs don't eat them!
    My current list of frogs:
    Red eyed tree frog

My current list of other pets:
    4 nerite snails
    1 betta fish
    3 silver dollar fish
    1 red tailed shark
    1 pictus catfish
    2 angelfish
    1 comet goldfish
    1 tabby cat

There's probably such thing as too many pets, but I don't think I'm there yet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello Josephz. Thanks for responding. Yes deceived by kind and only adopting one. Lol. In the big tank we have an albino algae eater and a ?farawello? (long skinny swordfish nosed algae eater , really awesome). They all get along fabulously. They actually play back and forth together. The frogs, although now probably blessed with way more than wanted , are great. One of my favorite things to do with them daily is to open the top and talk to them and play around with them. They are so interactive. Here's my boggle. Pls don't laugh too much as my son was rolling on the ground. I've been trying to find out for weeks weather they bite or not and if it is a hard bite or not. They love commin up and nibblin at fingers. Last night I was doin my thing with them when the larger one decided to answer my question with a big sloppy love bite on the lips. I was never worried before but now I'm kinda freaked out. My 7yr old and other half were beside themselves with gut busting laughs. Is this aggressive behavior??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hah, that's awful. You'll probably be okay if you haven't had any symptoms of food poisoning yet.

Just out of curiosity, does the bite hurt? I'm assuming no, but I've never had that species.

Thread Information