Thread: Red Ornate color?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Red Ornate color?

I just got a Red Ornate 3 days ago, and although he seems active, healthy, and is eating, his red has faded significantly from bright red to an almost lavender grey. I messaged the seller and he said everything I was doing was right, and that he must just be ready to shed, but I just wanted to ask on here too. Hoping he is ok!!

Set up - 10 Gallon tank with an UTH with thermostat set to 80F (temp gun shows 78F on hot end). 3" of Eco Earth bedding kept compacted and moist. Shallow water bowl which he has not used at all. Misted 2x/day (our house is super dry), and all water used has been treated with ExoTerra water conditioner for reptiles since I have been using our well water.

He did eat yesterday, 4 med super worms (about and inch and a half long), and is acting totally fine....I am just a worried new "frog mom" lol!

Also, I am trying to upload pics, but it keeps telling me...
    • Day1.JPG - This is not a valid image file.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red Ornate color?

They change they're colour from time to time, it's nothing to worry about and sometimes it can just be shedding.

Everyone sounds spot on, I would however add a light if you haven't already, something like Zoo Med's Nature Sun or Exo Terra's Natural Light. This provides UVA and keeps them happy, providing a day and night cycle. Some have been kept without but it's best to provide it.

If he/she is just a baby, I wouldn't feed superworms just yet, not until it's a few inches. Crickets and small earthworms are best to start them off with, make sure to gut load them and dust them lightly before feeding. I use Repashy Calcium Plus and use it at every feed as instructed on the tub. When the frogs a little larger then include superworms and pink mice but they're best of as a treat, they're not the most healthiest food items.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If its just faded and darken abit don't worry. My red ornate did the same thing, they will change colour abit to blend in with there surroundings. The cocofibre is dark so he will darken abit. And with mine its just the red, the green is still very bright and vibrant. But just in case you may want to get your well water tested to make sure there isn't anything harmfull in it for your frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you both! I will keep the food items in mind! I am going to check Petco/Petsmart/my local pet shop tomorrow for earthworms. I had the supers from my Leopard Gecko so tried them since he refused the Dubia nymphs I tried first. He took them, but then spat them back out each time. I REALLY hate crickets, so they would be a last resort, but of course if I can't find earthworms, I will suck it up Also, I would say he is right at 2" if not a tad bigger. He isn't a tiny baby by any means. Wish I could get the pics to upload!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

No problem! You could always use locust, they're more healthier but unfortunately they need high temps to gut load properly and may be more expensive but earthworms are good as a stable, keep them cool, in the fridge or garage, as they will spoil at room temperature. That's fine for super worms then but I would put them in as a treat and dust them with supplements before feeding.

If you upload a pic to picture sharing site, then copy and paste the URL, the pic will then show up.

Nationality
    [Canada]

When purchasing worms make sure they are Night crawlers and not red wigglers. Red wigglers secrete this really nasty tasting stuff and it has been known to throw frogs off worms for good.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Earthworms, nightcrawlers will have any fish bait store, just check if they are dye free. And check if they are not red wigglers.
    Pic - you need to upload it somewhere like photobucket and then post it here.

Everybody has covered the colouring, my high red girl is brown now, they change their colouring with age and depending on the environment.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

OK thanks everyone! Did the photo bucket thing...here he is

Also, would these be ok? Now I am a little worried because it says "Red". I was planning on ordering though them for everyone, but if not I can always get his locally from a bait shop.

http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/50-red-earthworms/

10. 3 members thank Laura10 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't use them, I've heard they can be bad but I've not looked much into this. I just use standard night crawlers (lumbricus terrestris)

Nationality
    [Canada]

So pretty! Congrats, you got a beautiful frog here!

Not sure about these worms, they look like red wigglers, I wouldn't risk it.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Very beautiful frog, he/she looks very pretty!

Thread Information