Thread: Questions about setting up a new habitat

Nationality
    [United States]

Smile Questions about setting up a new habitat

Hi froggy friends, My name is Tanya, and my son Gavin is reading and writing with me. He is 10, and is doing frog care for his 4-H project. We are getting ready to purchase a set up for a ACF (dwarf) tank. We are looking for any information on how to set up a brand new tank. We are going tomorrow to buy a 10 gallon tank. We have well water, and live in central Florida. What do we need to do to the water? How long does the tank need to cycle? What can I do to cycle it when we have nothing at all? Sand or aquarium gravel for the bottom?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. We have spent hours reading websites, but all give different information.

Last edited by 4HFrogMomma; January 29th, 2016 at 10:33 PM. Reason: To add that we are going to get dwarf frogs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

Default Re: Questions about setting up a new habitat

Welcome dwarf frogs are so fun to watch!! First of all, you don't need a 10 gallon tank. For just one frog, a 2-5 gallon tank is more than enough. I also suggest that you get two frogs, they are surprisingly social. General rule is 1 gallon per frog, but I like to give mine a bit extra so a 5 gal for two froggies would be ideal. For a tank I highly suggest the fluval chi. It comes fully equipped with lights, filter and manual. I believe it's on sale at petsmart right now, at least in Canada it is! As for well water, I have no clue, hopefully someone else can help with that one. I have reverse osmosis water, so I don't do anything to the water. I actually didn't cycle the tank for more than 24 hours. Because these frogs breathe air, I didn't feel it was necessary so long as the water is clean and free of anything harmful. I use gravel for the bottom, just don't get the super fine gravel. It floats and is super annoying IMO. Any more questions and I would be happy to answer them!! I love my ADF's, they are such little characters with those big feet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello 4HFrogMomma

Are you are getting an ACF or ADF? ADF are smaller than ACF and have webbed arms anf feet while only ACF's feet are webbed. Eyes are different too, on the side of the head for ADF and more on top for ACF

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm assuming you're talking about African dwarf frogs (Hymenochirus)?

Thread Information