Thread: Poe and food.

Jace

Default Poe and food.

Poe has had his front legs for about a week now. I lowered his water level, put in a ramp for him to climb out onto when he was ready and made sure he has had his usual fish flakes and algae wafers available. However, he hasn't touched very much food at all since the front legs emerged. His body is looking more and more like a frog, but he's looking skinny to me. I tried a cricket the other day, but he ignored it. However, his mouth is more advanced now, but he still has a long tadpole tail. Should I keep throwing crickets in there until he finally accepts them or stick with his tadpole food?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Poe and food.

He will not eat until the tail is fully resorbed. So hang in there.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

Oh. Well that would explain it then. Guess I will suction out the food that I put in there this morning and just leave him alone, then. Kind of miss his little tadpole lips, though. Those were pretty cute....sigh. They grow up so fast....

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Aaaah Jace... You are such a great mum to Poe.

Paul Rust

Patience Jo!

Iratus ranunculus

Feeding him fish flakes were you? That explains the scoliosis. Fish flakes have a high surface area to volume ratio and vitamins in the B complex are water soluble. It leaches into the water in seconds and he cannot absorb it in sufficient quantity. In some cases this can lead to a deficiency, which will lead to scoliosis and other problems. Algae wafers do not provide a lot of it either.

In addition to eating algae, wild tadpoles also feed on detritus and little copepods and other micro-organisms they get with said algae and detritus. That provides the B complex vitamins they need. For your new tadpoles I would recommend alfalfa pellets (during the harvesting process insect bits get left in), or sinking pellets such as trout chow. An alternative is to seed the tank with detritus from a pond bottom.

Jace

Oh. I was told to feed him fish flakes, and I picked up two different kinds of algae wafers just to mix up his diet a bit. However, if you look through my photo album of him, you can see the kink in his tail and the start of the growth on the first day I got him, before he was even offered food. Wherever he was before, he was not getting the right vitamins.

I am no where near a pond, so that option is out. Would shrimp pellets work? Once Poe fully morphs and starts taking crickets, what can I give him to boost his system? Will the scoliosis affect him as an adult frog? Guess it's back to the petstore I go....

Iratus ranunculus

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Oh. I was told to feed him fish flakes, and I picked up two different kinds of algae wafers just to mix up his diet a bit. However, if you look through my photo album of him, you can see the kink in his tail and the start of the growth on the first day I got him, before he was even offered food. Wherever he was before, he was not getting the right vitamins.

I am no where near a pond, so that option is out. Would shrimp pellets work? Once Poe fully morphs and starts taking crickets, what can I give him to boost his system? Will the scoliosis affect him as an adult frog? Guess it's back to the petstore I go....

Yeah, vitamin dusted crickets and assortment of other insects will do it. Anything that gives him animal protein will give him the B complex vitamins he needs, and provided the kink in the tail is all he has, he should be fine.

Thread Information