My froggy I had for a year had a liver infection and developed dropsy. He kept swelling larger and larger and was constantly shedding. Despite what I was told by the vet before acquiring my frogs, I don't have any near by vets that would take her. I called every vet before I made the purchase and one said that they take frogs and toads all the time. Then I called and they said they don't and never have.

Anyway, after finding out he had dropsy. I put him (or her I refer to him as both cause I never knew. lol) in a tank by himself. 10 gallon with highly water logged paper towels on the bottom to monitor if he was defecating cause it could have been an impaction and had a small 2.5 or 5 gallon tank with treated water for him to soak and swim occasionally through out the day. After three days he got so large his front legs couldn't touch the ground cause his belly was so big. His back legs didn't have enough strength to move him, no matter how hard he tried. He would basically kick and kick and kick and got no where. So today I reluctantly grabbed some oragel and gently applied it down her spine. She was out soon after. I wish I could have done more, but being inexperienced and having no vets I think I did what I could.

Good news is, while He was in the other tank my other frogs weren't as livly as they were when I first got them. After cleaning their tank (which is why I believe it was an infection) and removing the infected frog, my other two became more livily and began eating more and has bright red bellies and jump around all the time. They are also more vigorous eaters and love their crickets and occasional meal worms.

Theres a number of issues as to why he could have gotten sick, 3 toads in a 10 gallon could have been over crowded. Also, I was soo busy for three weeks and their water got pretty dirty. Or it could have been low nutrition. I ran out of calcium dust for the crickets and they had to do without it. Any one of these could have been the cause, it also could have been something else. I'm just glad he's no longer in pain and I'll keep a better eye on these two and not get to busy to clean their water and tank. How many animals have you had?

- JamesL