Thread: Hey Ya'll, new Whites Tree Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Talking Hey Ya'll, new Whites Tree Frog

Im new here and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself. Im Ethan and I recently got a new Whites Tree Frog. After hearing from friends that this was a good species for beginners, and doing ample research myself, I decided to get myself one. Although this is my first time with a whites tree frog I am not entirely new to herpoculture. I have a wild caught tiger salamander that I have housed for more than four years now and I also used to have two fire bellied toads before giving them to one of my neighbors. I'm really enjoying the new tree frog. he's a beautiful emerald green - blue color with a row of spots and I've taken the liberty of naming him Alfie. My only concern is that he doesn't seem to be adjusting to his new home as quickly as I have anticipated, if anyone knows ways to make this easier on the frog that would be super helpful.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hey Ya'll, new Whites Tree Frog

Try not to handle the frog until it becomes bigger. Make sure the tanks set up, information can be conflicting so sometimes it can be hard depending on how good your source is. I'll go over the basics in housing so you can make sure everything's ok.

Housing:
    Juveniles 10 gallon, for Adults at least 20 gallons but I'd go bigger. Fake or real plants for hides and branches or vines for perches. Coir substrate (allow to dry before adding to the tank) I would not use moss or bark. Water dish filled with de-chlorinated water

Temps
    Basking spot of around 85F provided by low wattage heat lamp, preferably on a thermostat. Heat mat can be used as an additional source if the ambient away from the basking go too low. Night temps should be allowed to drop to around 70oF and if they drop below 65oF put the heat mat on.

Lighting
    I would use a UVB as they will be exposed to it in the wild, whether it be direct or scattered. A 5% above screen should be enough on the recommended size enclosures

Humidity
    Keep the humidity around 50-70% and do not allow the tank to go wet. Provide good ventilation

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks so much the lighting and humidity tips are super helpful. I have met most of the requirements for tank setup though the humidity may be where I am lacking. Right now my biggest concern is that my frog either just sits in his water dish all day or hides in one corner. He hasn't started climbing at all or exploring the rest of the tank and doesn't yet seem interested in eating. I've had the frog for 5 days and hope to get him adjusted as soon as possible. Also what size would you recommend before handling is possible?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If the humidity is too low he may go to the water dish. A lot of ill frogs will also soak in the water dish for long periods of time. Most frogs do need some time to settle down though and because Whites are captive bred there wouldn't be a big risk of it having any parasites unless it's been housed in poor conditions and in a mixed tank. It's best to make sure you leave the frog in peace, don't disturb unless necessary and make sure the enclosure is in a quiet area of the house. I can't really give you an answer for what size it should be handled but I'd imagine when it reaches adulthood before regular handling will be fine. Young tree frogs are usually delicate, whereas adults are sturdy. If I'm honest, I've not yet had one myself but plan do and so I've read several books as well as having had experience with many tree frogs, barking tree frogs, red eyes and greens
    Have you got any books yet? I recommend purchasing Practical pets series: amphibians, tree frogs by devin edmonds and avs popular tree frogs. All are good reads but I find you have to take pieces from each book in order to come up with the ideal care situation, although practical pets is good and up to date.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    If the humidity is too low he may go to the water dish. A lot of ill frogs will also soak in the water dish for long periods of time. Most frogs do need some time to settle down though and because Whites are captive bred there wouldn't be a big risk of it having any parasites unless it's been housed in poor conditions and in a mixed tank. It's best to make sure you leave the frog in peace, don't disturb unless necessary and make sure the enclosure is in a quiet area of the house. I can't really give you an answer for what size it should be handled but I'd imagine when it reaches adulthood before regular handling will be fine. Young tree frogs are usually delicate, whereas adults are sturdy. If I'm honest, I've not yet had one myself but plan do and so I've read several books as well as having had experience with many tree frogs, barking tree frogs, red eyes and greens
    Have you got any books yet? I recommend purchasing Practical pets series: amphibians, tree frogs by devin edmonds and avs popular tree frogs. All are good reads but I find you have to take pieces from each book in order to come up with the ideal care situation, although practical pets is good and up to date.
    I just picked up a book today! I also bought a newer basking bulb and a timer. The timer is helping it to have a frequent and constant photoperiod which I think is already helping a ton!

Thread Information