Thread: Australian Keeper - L. splendida, L. caerulea

Nationality
    [Australia]

Default Australian Keeper - L. splendida, L. caerulea

Hey all!

Nice to meet you! It's great to have found not only a brilliant forum but one that isn't blocked on my workplace server (hurray!)

I have had frogs for about 8 years but only a small little group as I also keep snakes and lizards. I am in the process of reducing my snake collection and planning on slightly increasing my froggy family!

I currently have Litoria splendida and Litoria caerulea but I am contemplating potential other species as I have another two empty enclosures with plants currently establishing... I am just so fickle that I want to be incredibly sure before I jump into anything!

I am considering:

• Notaden bennettii (Crucifix Toad)
    • Litoria chloris (Australian Red Eyed Green Tree Frog)
    • Litoria infrafrenata (White Lipped Tree Frog)
    • Litora gracilenta (Dainty Tree Frog)
    • Litoria aurea (Green and Golden Bell Frog)
    • Litoria xanthomera (Orange Thighed Frog)
    • Litoria dahlii (Dahl's Aquatic Frog)
    • Limnodynastes interioris (Giant Banjo Frog)

As you can see, I have my decision making work cut out for me! There are just far too many cute species here... If you can be bothered to google any of those, what would you pick?

Do you see many Australian species where you're from?

Looking forward to seeing all of your beautiful frogs and toads!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Australian Keeper - L. splendida, L. caerulea

Hey and belated welcome! Those are some interesting frogs. I think Crucifix toads are a burrowing species? Good luck with your research.
    I have litoria caerulia myself and sadly have no more space for other frogs. Mine are the Indonesian type rather than Australian, but I have seen a wildlife watch photo of a caerulia wild in the US on someone's car window. Hopefully they aren't invasive here. Cute as they are, they do have appetites!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Hello and welcome I am also new here, not long joined as i got a pacman about 2 months ago and figured if i ever needed help with him this is the community to be in, i have seen so many posts of people worried about their froggies/toads and the replies are amazing like i said a great community of caring people
    I also have no one local who has any interest in such creatures so i figured would be a nice place too meet people with the same interest.
    Btw i would go for the Golden bell, its highly activity during the day so it would fascinating to watch

this is my little pacman Froug http://i.imgur.com/gUf52Me.jpg (i am aware that the heat mat shouldnt be in the tank and it no longer is thanks to this forum dw :P)

Nationality
    [Australia]

Hi Elly! What a cute little frog you have in your avatar picture too! Just lovely I hope one day you have more space for more little friends, if you ever feel you need more that is! Such little frogs have such BIG personalities.

Biscuit you're absolutely right, it looks to be a fabulous community that I cannot wait to be a part of! I figured since I've had these guys for so long and have worked in some of Australia's zoos, I might be able to help out during the downtime between arguing with people on the phone (work is very quiet at the moment!). I do love the Bells, partially because I love the pointy little faces and partially because they have so much ATTITUDE! I've had one hang onto my pinky finger for a good minute before I actually had to slide him off, my finger must have been delicious.

What a sweet little thing! Is it just me or do Pacmans look like Rygel from Farscape, really bad old sci fi anyone? I would absolutely love one myself, I am a sucker for chubby little frogs. Unfortunately Australian keepers only have the choices of native species and we don't actually have any Pacmans in any of the zoos I have worked in. Shame, they seem so irresistibly hungry!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Pacmans absolutely look like Rygel.

Also, from time to time people pop into the forums to ask about rarer (in most parts of the world)frogs (like golden bells, I seem to remember) and often no one can answer them. It's good to have someone with some wider experience here.

Thread Information