Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to frogs

blaurie

Default New to frogs

About 2 months ago my daughter found some tadpoles in the creek behind our house. She has been taking care of them and we have brought them inside. We have been getting answers from the pet shops but we are looking for better answers. We started with a 10 gallon tank and when we saw that one was soon to become a frog, we prepared a 30 gallon tank which we divided into half land, half water. The water side equals to about 6 - 7 gallons of water. Our frog has been eating crickets now for 4 days, on average of 2 per day. The other tadpole is still in the tadpole stage and its legs are tiny. We are not sure it he is a late bloomer or what.

The main question we have is how to keep them alive when we go on vacation. We may not be able to find anyone to feed them. As long as the tadpole remains as such we can probably drop in a gold fish feeder that lasts a week, but what to do for our frog?

These photos are not that recent our frog no longer has a tail and the aquarium now has water in it, a filter and a light.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by blaurie; July 19th, 2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: missing a word

Jace

Default Re: New to frogs

Welcome to the Forum. The first picture looks like an American Bullfrog. These guys can get big and eat lots. As a froglet, they need to be fed every day as much as they can eat. Your tadpole will make do while you go on vacation, but I would recommend trying your best to find someone to feed your froglet.

blaurie

We will certainly try to find someone, but some people are a bit squeamish about crickets. I found a container at the pet shop where you can fill it with live crickets and maybe 20 or so will keep for a week or so.

If these frogs get big, will this aquarium be big enough for 2 frogs?

We have also put feeder fish in the water side and so far, our frog, Bubbles, has not eaten any.

Paul Rust

Froglets are voracious and need a constant supply of food. As long as it is still absorbing it's tail it might be ok without food for a short time, but when the tail is gone it will need to be fed.

Jace

American Bullfrogs are cannablistic-in fact, most frogs are to a certain degree-especially if one is quite a bit smaller than the other. If these are American Bullfrogs, your best bet is to separate them sooner rather than later. A 30 gallon will be sufficient for one Bullfrog, but depending on the size it finally gets, it might need more space. Depending on how long you will be on vacation for, the live cricket container might work. I wouldn't want to make any promises though. Feeder fish are not recommended as part of a staple diet for frogs as they can contain parasites that can be passed on to your frogs. Love the name Bubbles!!

blaurie

My eldest son works in a pet shop. His specialty is lizards but he said that they only feed the frogs every second day. The first day, Bubbles ate 3, second day 3, third day none, and today we think he ate 2. We have not put in more than 3 per day, he does not seem that big and we cannot imagine that he could eat that many more. He seems so small.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by blaurie View Post
    If these frogs get big, will this aquarium be big enough for 2 frogs?
    If it's an American Bullfrog (and it looks like it is) it can get 8" from snout to vent and another 10" for the legs. That's an 18" frog that is mostly aquatic and needs room to swim. I would say only one in a 30g for an adult.

Paul Rust

We are stepping all over each other Jo. You got this one so I'll back off, love ya!

Jace

Is Bubbles the one in the first picture? His appetite might not be in full drive yet because his tail has not fully absorbed. Once it does, I agree with Paul: he will be seeking out food and eating whenever he gets the chance. I have an American Bullfrog tadpole who has just had his front legs pop and I am on alert for his appetite to increase the smaller his tail gets. Right now, he hasn't taken crickets, but I can't wait for him to start.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    We are stepping all over each other Jo. You got this one so I'll back off, love ya!
    Lol. Considering I only have experience with one tadpole, I'm not sure I am all that qualified!! Besides, I am just passing on the great advice I got from eveyone else, including you, so I hope I make eveyone proud! Hugs, Paul!!

blaurie

Goodness, I hope that they do not get 8 inches long. That sounds like a monster to me. My daughter insists that Bubbles is not an American Bullfrog, but we are not experts. So here are a few more photos to help identify.

Over the years we have seen many frogs on and around our land and creek and have never seen one as big as you have described
    Last edited by blaurie; July 19th, 2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: photos not showing

Jace

Bubbles sure is cute! I do not have enough experience identifying frogs, so until someone else jumps in and gives a positive I.D. I am not going to confirm or deny Bubbles is an American Bullfrog. I was going by the first pictures you posted, because those pictures look almost identical to my Poe who I know for sure is a bullfrog. Paul, can you say for sure what Bubbles is based on the new pics?

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Blaurie, please set your country in your profile.

If you can put the bullfrog froglet somewhere cool, say a nice cool basement, it will almost certainly do alright without food for a week, provided you've fed it well before you leave.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Paul Rust

I stand by our first impression. Without knowing your location I think it looks like Rana catesbeiana.

Kurt

The lack of dorso-lateral ridges suggest to me that this frog is either an American bullfrog, Lithobates catesbeianus or a pig frog, Lithobates grylio. Not knowing your location I can't say for sure which it is, but a quick look at the toes makes me think it may be the pig.

Jace

Kurt, are dorsal ridges apparent right away? I am currently looking at my frog book, "The Frogs and Toads of North America" and Bullfrogs and Pig frogs look remarkably similar. I just can't believe how much the partially morphed tadpole picture looks like Poe, though. What is the best way to distinguish between these two frogs appearance wise?

Paul Rust

The thing keeping me from being confident that it is an American Bullfrog is the lack of a camo pattern on the throat, but sometimes it is not present.

blaurie

Thank you so much for all your input. I have attached a few more photos to perhaps better identify our frog.

He sure does like to eat. We are not thrilled with the idea that he may become huge. I saw some photos of American Bullfrogs and I was taken aback. I think that he would need a much larger space than the 30 gallon aquarium we prepared.

How much can I expect him to grow each year and at what point does he become his full size? Is it a gradual thing, or can I expect him to reach maturity this year?

I am sorry about not showing my country, I could not figure out how to change that. I am in Quebec, Canada
    Last edited by blaurie; July 20th, 2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: missing info

Jace

A fellow Canadian! Always good to see more of us on the Forum. I honestly can't say what Bubbles is; I am still learning about how to identify frogs and where they are located in North America. From a top view, he looks a lot like my American Bullfrog, but John, Kurt or another more experienced senior member will be able to give the final vote.

If-and it is still an if until we get confirmation-it is a bullfrog, it will get big. Not much you can do about it. However, I think a 30 gallon will suffice. Just provide lots of cover and it will be one happy frog. I am not sure how big Pig frogs get, if Kurt is right, but they seem to be similar in habitats and diet as bullfrogs. Hopefully John or Kurt will be able to give you a 100% I.D. soon.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    A fellow Canadian! Always good to see more of us on the Forum.
    Lovely, eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information