Thread: Night bulbs

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Night bulbs

Hi all

I've been using infra red heat lamps and night bulbs with my amphibians for a month or so since it's been getting cold at night but then switched to heat mats for night time heat, giving the animals complete darkness. Since switching I've noticed that they've been more active during the night, seems like the light has been disturbing them. Has anyone else had this problem with night lights?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Night bulbs

Hey man, ya I used to have the same problem that's why stopped using them also. When I first got my female I used heat matts but thought I would try a light and see what happened. Once I unplugged the UTH and put the purple night bulb in she would come up at all different times and some nights she wouldn't even come up were as in complete darkness she came up at the same time everynight almost and she never stayed underground after lights out. Once I took it out and just used the UTH she went back to normal. I had the bulb spare so I thought I would try it out with my FBT's to give them some light at night but even the little bit of light it gave off in the room made my Pacman start acting weird again, once I stopped again she went back to acting normal. So now the room is completely dark at night and they all seem to do better this way.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Night bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hey man, ya I used to have the same problem that's why stopped using them also. When I first got my female I used heat matts but thought I would try a light and see what happened. Once I unplugged the UTH and put the purple night bulb in she would come up at all different times and some nights she wouldn't even come up were as in complete darkness she came up at the same time everynight almost and she never stayed underground after lights out. Once I took it out and just used the UTH she went back to normal. I had the bulb spare so I thought I would try it out with my FBT's to give them some light at night but even the little bit of light it gave off in the room made my Pacman start acting weird again, once I stopped again she went back to acting normal. So now the room is completely dark at night and they all seem to do better this way.
    I've heard this can cause a problem with bearded dragons as well, making them insomniac. I'm currently using a 'full spectrum' heat bulb for day time with my horned frog as it raises the ambient air for when he's not out but wall mounted heat mat that he can bask in at night if temps drop too low. I used to use an infra red heat lamp for my Cane toad as a 24/7 heat source but since switching to the mat he's been out more when I've peaked into his tank

Thread Information