Thread: RETF froglets

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default RETF froglets

Hello all , new to the forum , but hopefully will be using you all frequently now
    with the help of my daughters i have successfully bred my Red Eyes , we had 2 clutches of eggs and all but a handful actually hatched !
    The tadpoles grew well , although we did have a few deaths after about 3 weeks , my fault i think for not cleaning the filter enough and a possible lack of oxygen ? A 18" x 18" exo terra with 4" water , a bit of a squeeze for 70 tads ?
    Is it usual for a certain amount of losses , natural selection etc ?
    We now have about 20 proper healthy looking froglets , but also some very bloated nearly see through ones ? is this normal ? will they sort themselves out ? should / can we do anything ? Also we have lost 3 or 4 that have kind of withered . Still have a further 20 tads to go yet .
    From the water we have put the froglets into a small exo terra with moss , a plant and a soaked bed of kitchen roll , with 2 small water bowls
    In the water , only about 7 actually climbed out like proper RETF , most kind of beached themselves on a raised gravel bed or on the floating weed / leaves , a few actually appeared to be drowning ! rule of thumb for us was to net them , if they climbed then they went into the terrarium
    Could we have transferred them too soon , should they stay in with the water until they lose their tails completely ?
    The whole experience has been great , watching the life stages into new frogs , but the deaths have been horrid !But seeing proper little Red Eyes is amazing !
    We do plan to try again when the babies are settled and would love to be happier that we are doing as much right as possible , so any input / comments would be gratefully received
    will try to get some photos on here soon
    many thanks , Malcolm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information