Thread: How much should a (Dwarf) Pyxie weigh after about 7-8 months?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default How much should a (Dwarf) Pyxie weigh after about 7-8 months?

Hey folks,

In June of this year, we picked up what we were told at the time was "absolutely for sure a Giant Pyxie" at a trade show here in Toronto. Not knowing how to identify the difference between the Dwarf and Giant variants back then (and still maybe not 100% sure), we suspected it might be a Dwarf but couldn't argue with the two vendors who assured us otherwise... Plus it was just a baby at the time, so we were under the impression it's very difficult to tell at that point regardless.

Anyway, based on the fact it has the white spots in its tympanum, and some other physical features I've read of, it seems my Kaiju is indeed a Dwarf, not the Giant he/she was sold to me as. That's fine, even if I was really looking forward to having a huge beast of a frog...

I'm wondering though, my guess would be that "he" is about 7-8 months old at this point, and to me seems rather small/lightweight. We just weighed him a few minutes ago and he weighs about 186g -- which is almost identical to his weight in the middle of August! We feed him mostly a diet of red wrigglers (calcium-powdered at least once a week), as well as horn worms and the odd time that he'll take them, crickets or superworms. He tends to eat an average of 2-3 worms every other day, sometimes more (as many as 6), sometimes less. I'd love to get him on dubia roaches, but getting them here is next to impossible -- and I've offered pinky & fuzzy mice with no luck so far. (Mice would only be a very occasional food item, really just to help him get up to size if needed.)

How do you folks feel about his current weight, and are there any suggestions to get him up to size if he's truly underweight? He seems healthy otherwise, sheds and poops regularly, and loves to spend time in the water half of his tank -- definitely prefers eating his worms in there we've noticed. Humidity is always kept around 70%, and temperatures between 73-82F depending on time of day.

I can certainly post more info if requested, and will post up some pics too when I've got a moment. Appreciate any constructive feedback -- thanks!
    My little monsters: 1. Kaiju: Dwarf Pyxie frog (believed male) -- 2. Jaeger: C.Cranwelli/Albino Pacman (unknown gender) ...so far!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: How much should a (Dwarf) Pyxie weigh after about 7-8 months?

Here's a photo of my two twits, for comparison. :P

My little monsters: 1. Kaiju: Dwarf Pyxie frog (believed male) -- 2. Jaeger: C.Cranwelli/Albino Pacman (unknown gender) ...so far!

ive never owned a dwarf before but I have owned like 6 giants....3 males and 3 females....ur dwarf is acutally a really good size for his age...he looks like a Tanzanian dwarf pixie and healthy as well...my male giants were roughly just a bit bigger than him or same size about...I think u got lucky bc dwarfs aren't as common...and urs looks like a tanks!!! lol and im going to agree with you that its a male...its got a really nice size head to it...one last thing...you should feed him earthworms and not red wrigglers bc they don't taste that good to ur frog...and earthworms are bigger as well...I just buy mine from wal mart and those are fine
    Last edited by habeeb; October 20th, 2015 at 11:14 PM.

Nationality
    [Canada]

My mistake, they are indeed Canadian nightcrawlers -- I keep getting the two mixed up for some reason. And thanks very much for the response & feedback, that puts my mind at ease.

Walmart brand might dye there worms just an FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by atlpiggy View Post
    Walmart brand might dye there worms just an FYI

I've been feeding my caudates the Canadian nightcrawlers from Walmart for a couple years without any issues, they shouldn't be an issue for frogs either

Quote Originally Posted by ThoseNewtsTho View Post
    I've been feeding my caudates the Canadian nightcrawlers from Walmart for a couple years without any issues, they shouldn't be an issue for frogs either

yep same here...ive been using their worms for the past few years as well and had no issues

Then keep doing so. I'm just passing the word down from a person I know who's frog died shortly after grubbing on some dyed worms....

Nationality
    [Canada]

That's a sketchy practice... then again, it's Walmart, little surprises me there these days.

I get mine from local bait shops, so hopefully nothing to worry about there. Might make an attempt at housing/raising worms again, if giving them a "permanent" home in our fridge doesn't become an issue, lol!

And that is exactly what I was told to do. I'm pretty sure it might actually say it on the container

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by atlpiggy View Post
    And that is exactly what I was told to do. I'm pretty sure it might actually say it on the container
    Oh yes, of course; sorry, what I really meant was that hopefully occupying *more* space in the fridge for worms wouldn't be an issue. But seeing as my girlfriend and I both have pets that feed on them, I'm sure she'll understand if one of our crispers becomes a worm habitat. ;P

Thread Information