Thread: Sick milk frog

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Sick milk frog

Hi everyone.

So i got a 3 baby milk frogs about a month ago. 2 days after they had settled in and i was about to feed them for the first time i noticed ALL of them had prolapsed. 2 of them was only minor and was easily fixed with sugar water. The third was in really bad shape and didn't make it. I seperated the other two and at the time they seemed fine.

Now, i waited 3 days to attempt feeding them again and while one readily accepted small crickets and ate 4-5, the other ignored them and seemed to stress him out so i removed them.

The next day he was dead. Tilted on his side with very thin legs and arms i just put it down to not recovering properly from the prolapse.

Up until now the third is still alive but stopped eating for a few days now and is barely moving. I have also found that his last few poo's were huge, about 4 times bigger than normal and seems to have grey, blue and black bits in it. He has not moved in the last 2 days and is getting really thin really fast.

I have kept amphibians for 4 years now and already keep whites tree frogs, red eyed tree frogs, pacman frogs and fire bellied toads with no problems, and i'm really confused in the need of advice.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Sick milk frog

Hard to say without knowing their history. As it happened two days after you got them, whatever is wrong happened before they were in your care. Sounds like they were raised without good nutrition to me. How old are they and where did you get them?
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I got them from a reptile show and im not too sure on the age but he's no bigger than a 1 pound coin

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

September's Doncaster show? If you didn't take the seller's details I guess you'll never know how they were raised. There's at least two types of frog breeder, the reputable one who pays close attention to bloodlines, nutrition and providing everything a growing animal needs, and the bedroom breeder who kept two sibling frogs together and got lucky and managed to sell a few malnourished offspring and make a few quid. I fear you may have bought from the latter.
    The damage has obviously been done before you owned them, but the best you can try is to pull the remaining ones around with a healthy diet of vitamin and calcium dusted crickets and locusts and of course adequate UVB exposure. Clean treated tap water changed every day, temps of 23-24C at night and 26-27C during the day and around 60% humidity. Splitting them up is a good idea as they are remorseless bullies. Good luck!

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Seems to have prolapsed again, dont think he will make it.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Sorry to hear that, such a shame. Amazon Milk Frogs are actually a very hardy frog, but their needs have to be met like an any other animal. Sounds certain to me that this didn't happen with these guys and there would have been very little you could have done. Most likely something like MBD caused by lack of calcium and UVB.
    If this experience hasn't put you off, come and see me at the November show. I'll have some Milks on my table that have been raised correctly.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Yeah they're definately a hardy frog, it only took just under 4 hours to heal from this second prolapse but it's not looking great. He doesn't seem to be getting better he just seems to be... surviving. I'll try and feed him some dusted crickets in a few days.

Thanks for your help, i appreciate it. I think i might have to take you up on your offer if this little guy doesn't pull through.

Thread Information