Thread: Pacman frog i have had over a year not eating

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pacman frog i have had over a year not eating

My frogs name is Zeus i have had him over a year and hes always eaten good and been pretty active for a pacman frog
    now i live in newyork so it does get chilly in winter and fall its currently transitioning from summer to fall
    he has a heat lamp in his cage i keep it around the 70's i mist the cage everyday
    i make sure he gets good calcium,water, and a good substrate (coconut fiber).
    i cleaned his cage about a month ago and ever sense hes been burrowing which isn't completely unusual for him but it was more than last winter he has had crickets in his cage and he hasn't been eating them at all
    i have this pacman food made b zoomed that i tried feeding him when he actually was out of his hole but he just breathed really heavy and didn't take it
    hes a very relaxed frog i could move him from cage to cage no problem he didnt squirm (yes i know he is male) he never tried biting me or anyone he never got scared if i put my hand in his cage
    but now he seems very panicy
    i understand the hibernation thing could be in play but what about him eating? i get very worried about calcium levels because of a previous pacman i bought from a bad owner who didnt treat him right and that frog ended up dying because the people who owned him before didnt know he needed calcium and get got MBD
    will zeus be okay? is there anything i can do to help him get food?

http://weareweirdhere.tumblr.com/pos...or-frog-forums _________these are pictures of him the first three are him before this all happened the last one is now (not much of a difference but this is just in case someone sees something i did not)
    THANK YOU

Default Re: Pacman frog i have had over a year not eating

Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    My frogs name is Zeus i have had him over a year and hes always eaten good and been pretty active for a pacman frog
    now i live in newyork so it does get chilly in winter and fall its currently transitioning from summer to fall
    he has a heat lamp in his cage i keep it around the 70's i mist the cage everyday
    i make sure he gets good calcium,water, and a good substrate (coconut fiber).
    i cleaned his cage about a month ago and ever sense hes been burrowing which isn't completely unusual for him but it was more than last winter he has had crickets in his cage and he hasn't been eating them at all
    i have this pacman food made b zoomed that i tried feeding him when he actually was out of his hole but he just breathed really heavy and didn't take it
    hes a very relaxed frog i could move him from cage to cage no problem he didnt squirm (yes i know he is male) he never tried biting me or anyone he never got scared if i put my hand in his cage
    but now he seems very panicy
    i understand the hibernation thing could be in play but what about him eating? i get very worried about calcium levels because of a previous pacman i bought from a bad owner who didnt treat him right and that frog ended up dying because the people who owned him before didnt know he needed calcium and get got MBD
    will zeus be okay? is there anything i can do to help him get food?

http://weareweirdhere.tumblr.com/pos...or-frog-forums _________these are pictures of him the first three are him before this all happened the last one is now (not much of a difference but this is just in case someone sees something i did not)
    THANK YOU
    Hello,

Looking at your frog he looks happy and healthy. I have 3 Pac man frogs and all of them are completley different, one will eat from tongs or whatever is in his home, the second will never eat from tongs and the third who is the older of the group only seems to take it from his enclosure if it is in front of his face now rather than attempting to catch it (this means there seems to be more food left than usual sometimes). I live in the UK and we have had a drop in temperature so maybe your frogs are reacting to that as mine seems to (my pacman and white tree frogs). Long as he hasn't stopped eating altogether I wouldn't worry so much.

Perhaps you could try covering a few of the sides on his enclosure to see if that helps him settle slightly?

Good luck

from Hannah

3. This member thanks FantaTizer for this post:

TK

i will try that thank you

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Temperatures probably aren't high enough, getting a higher wattage heat lamp and bump them up to 78-82F

He still hasnt changed im worried because before he started all of this he had a baby mouse and ate some crickets im worried the lack of sunlight (because hes burried) will mess with his digestive track im really hoping he doesnt have a compacted gut which he has had in the past from accidently eating moss but i fixed that its been a long time since then and i tried rubbing in stomach while he was soaking in warm water but he still hasnt gone to the bathroom in a long time

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Did you raise the temperature?

Thread Information