Thread: Odd mucusy trail.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Odd mucusy trail.

I recently got a White's tree frog named Morty. I don't have experience with frogs so I'm learning as I go. Today I came back to Morty on the glass of the terrarium. As he was moving about, a trail of this mucusy stuff followed (from around his belly) and stuck to the glass. I've attached a picture for reference. I picked it out with tweezers and it all came in one strand. It did not move. He did defecate today, is still active and has been eating well. I'm afraid something is wrong. What is it? Is it normal? Or is it signs of something worse like worms or possibly its entrails? I love Morty... Please help!

Edit: also, he is croaking off and on at night. I feed him a mixture of meal worms and crickets. Hope all of that helps.

Edit 2: might have just answered my own question but I want your opinion. Shedding? He has gotten big since I've got him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Odd mucusy trail.

It could be shed skin after he left his water dish. What are your humidity levels? A healthy shed should all be easily eaten and done outside of a water dish. My biggest concern is the gravel in there, you need to get that out asap. They are voracious eaters and if he scoops up some of the gravel, it could cause impaction and death unless emergency surgery is performed.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

He usually sits under the log to the left. He came out for food and I saw the trail then, he always looks moist. I spray the tank 2-3 times a day. Humidity is around 80%, never less than 60%. I make sure to moisten the moss and refill the water bowl.

And yes, the gravel has been taken care of.

I'll take any other suggestions or tips, related or not.

Sent from my trltetmo using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh also, should I be handling him at all? I don't touch him especially because he tries to escape but I see a lot of people handling and even playing with theirs. He's still pretty young and agile.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't. There really is no benefit to handling him and if he's quick, you risk him getting lost or injured.

I'm not really sure what else could have caused it. Here is a good article that you can give a look through and see if you can come up with anything you can adjust Welcome to the forum by the way!

http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...toria-caerulea
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's pretty high humidity for a WTF actually. I've read that they don't do well with "tropical" type humidity (like for Darts), and have always maintained my crew well at 50-60%, never higher than 70% (just after misting) and never lower than 45% at the bottom extreme. They always have full water dishes, and I use either reptile carpet, paper toweling or a bare bottom tank, no moss or other substrate.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]

Good to know. I'll watch the humidity a bit more and see how he does. His water dish is full all the time and I did sub the gravel for reptile carpet. I like the carpet but it doesn't hold on to water very well (to keep up the humidity).

Also, since we're here I was thinking about getting another frog... Could I possibly get a different species of frog that would do well with a WTF or should I just go ahead and get another WTF?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If you do get another frog, you'll need to get one of the same species and size. Size because they do eat smaller frogs and species because different species of frogs have different levels of toxins in their skin and frequent contact can make one frog or the other sick over the long run.

Also I mostly agree with Amy about handling, but it might be a good idea to get the frog a little bit used to you for those times when you absolutely have to pick the frog up, say for a vet trip. Maybe try putting your hand in the tank and letting him climb on, or doing very minimal handling. If you decide to do that do make sure your hands don't have soap residue or anything. It may help to wear powder-free latex gloves.

There's still the danger that he'll escape so keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to handle.

Nationality
    [United States]

Is it the string looking stuff you're talking about? Also the shouldn't have moss, they could accidentally eat that too and get impacted

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Wbarnes8723 View Post
    Is it the string looking stuff you're talking about? Also the shouldn't have moss, they could accidentally eat that too and get impacted
    Yes. The moss went with the gravel. It was a very temporary set up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah they shouldn't have either of those, did you take them out already? I'm sorry about your froggy, I bet that's pretty scarey, I would freak out if mine did that. It makes me think it may be some type of worms. Did it move at all? I didn't read all of the previous comments, did anyone mention you getting a fecal test on him? That would be a good idea. What's his poo look like? Is he any better now?

Thread Information