Thread: Whites tree frog sick again

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Whites tree frog sick again

As of 2 days ago i completed my second dosage of baytril for my Whites Tree Frog Slurp. She still isnt eating though and she seems very weak. I have given her calcium and honey baths so i know she has calcium in her. I know she still has red leg and was wondering if there is another way to cure it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Whites tree frog sick again

1. Whites tree frog
    4. 18x18x24
    5. one
    6. With her brother who passed away from red leg
    7. none
    8. 45% (70% after spray 35% before spray)
    9. 75-78 degrees and 70-72 at night (occasionally higher or lower)
    10. Digital temp gauge and an infrared temp gun
    11. 75 watt zoo med bulb with UVA for daytime. 60 watt zoo med red infrared night light for night
    12. Water change every night or when pooped in I do it sooner. Full cleaning once a month.
    13. Well water for everything. No dechlorinator as it is chlorine free. never had problems in 3 years I have had her.
    14. Repticarpet as of now because she dislikes eco-earth.
    15. Clean with big bowl of water then clean repticarpet. wash off glass. make sure nothing except water ever touches her stuff so not to contaminate it. Plastic hanging plants.
    16. Tonight
    17. Yesterday
    18. Was 3 crickets every other day. sometimes did 1 one day and 2 the next etc.
    19. large cricket
    20. gave her a pinkie mouse for Christmas
    21. Crickets
    22. Roam
    23. Tetrafauna- reptolife plus
    24. Tetrafauna- reptocal (has D3)- Just about every feeding.
    26. 3 years, 8 months
    27. 3 years, 5 months
    28. Petco
    29. CB (i think because they were tiny when I first get her and her brother)
    30. Only when needed, more lately because I am worried about her. No gloves but always wash twice without soap to make sure no skin oils than i keep hands damp so i don't pick up and bacteria on way and never touch any door handles. But i make sure my hands are perfectly clean. #OCD about harming her
    31. Low traffic, my sister likes to barge in a turn lights on when its nighttime because she doesn't care about anyone. Other than that it is usually semi quiet, never have music or anything load playing in the room.
    32. Baytril for a week. i have done that twice at month intervals

Here is a link to Slurps picture (I put it on yahoo answers (because this site wont let me)- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2202443AAJ9bIe
    Here is a link to enclosure- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2202643AAJvIR2

2 seperate questions because for some reason it only lets you post one photo per question

Nationality
    [Canada]

From what I have read in your answers you don't have her/him in a quarantine setup, papertowel substrate a plant and a water bowl. If you haven't done this it is more then likely why your frog hasn't got better from the redleg. Quarantine the frog and start again. I see some of the treefrog keepers are reading this thread and hopefully they give more input, but that is more then likely why your frog isn't getting better.

Nationality
    [United States]

I've just cleaned her tank fully yesterday. There are no other frogs. Do I still need a quarantine tank?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya even its just the one you need to quarantine the frog. You need to be able to change the substrate and clean the plant and water bowl everyday. It isn't about just passing to another frog, redleg is a bacterial infection so you need everything to be as clean and disinfected as possible. The quarantine tank is the easiest way to do this, and when putting in the papertowel just give it a light mist to dampen it, you don't want it to be soaking. Unfortunately if you don't do this your frog will just continue to be ill, even if you look up redleg this is the one thing it always says to do immediately and don't put him back in his home till the redleg is gone.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Ya even its just the one you need to quarantine the frog. You need to be able to change the substrate and clean the plant and water bowl everyday. It isn't about just passing to another frog, redleg is a bacterial infection so you need everything to be as clean and disinfected as possible. The quarantine tank is the easiest way to do this, and when putting in the papertowel just give it a light mist to dampen it, you don't want it to be soaking. Unfortunately if you don't do this your frog will just continue to be ill, even if you look up redleg this is the one thing it always says to do immediately and don't put him back in his home till the redleg is gone.
    Any antibiotics to get it to go away? Baytril hasn't eliminated it and I'm open to suggestions. What do you suggest in a quarantine tank?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Was the Baytril originally for the redleg? If it is redleg yes he will need antibiotics with the quarantine. If the baytril was prescribed for the redleg you may need abit stronger prescription of it. For the quarantine tank you want some paper towel for substrate and you need to dampen it, not soaked just damp. You could put a easy to clean plant in for some security and a water dish. The tank needs to be disinfected everyday and all furnishings everyday also, this is a must. The baytril should be working but as I mentioned it probably didn't because you were putting the frog back in his normal tank after his treatments. You may wan to contact your vet and let him know the frog isn't getting better also if you already haven't.

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay so can I do my 18x18x24 tank with papertowel and (cork bark or fake tree ledge) and one suction cup plant for security? As for the baytril as she just got a week long dossge a week ago is it safe to ask the vet for another dosage? Same amount or less?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I wouldn't put the cork bark in the quarantine tank because you have to disinfect the cage furnishings everyday with redleg and I don't think you are going to want and bake a piece of cork bark everyday. As for the prescription I would get the same dosage and if they ask why you need a refill on the meds just be honest and let them know you didn't do nit correctly the first time and they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh and I almost forgot to ask have you actually put him in a quarantine tank yet? by the sounds of your last post you haven't done it yet, if this is redleg I would get him in there ASAP or you are going to run out of time. After redleg hits a certain stage it is very unforgiving and there wont be any saving the frog. If you already have disregard this message.

Nationality
    [United States]

Doing it today, as of know what im going to put in it is: papertowel, a big tree thing with leaves on it and a hideout below, and a waterbowl (mine is some rock texture one so any suggestions on an easier to clean on, mine likes to grow green stuff that i wipe off with papertowel). Will this be too open and stresful or should it be fine?

Nationality
    [United States]

Anything else i can do for her other than quarantine tank and baytril?

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you can get your hands on some oral tetracycline that may work. Are you 100% sure its redleg? The baytril has to be doing something because im thinking for the length of time she had it that he would pretty much be near death. What has your vet told you and whats his/her thoughts? Can you post a picture on photobucket or similar site, that would be very helpful.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I noticed you first posted about your frog Slurp having problems back in july and that her brother died from redleg. Also that you were suspecting her to have MBD and said her legs where pink and that you thought she had maybe got the redleg. If this is correct I highly doubt its redleg because in that amount of time if it hasn't cleared up yet your frog would have passed by now or would be almost near death and from that picture of her IMO she doesn't look ill with red leg to me. I could be wrong because I don't own any whites but I know about red leg. Was the one that died of red leg diagnosed by a vet? You need to post a pic of her belly and thighs. Also does she have any open sores? if so you could put some Neosporin without pain reliever on the open sores to help with healing. But again im really starting to wonder if this is whats wrong.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ill try posting pictures tomorrow if I have time. Her bottom half through legs gets pretty red when shes riled up. I am not sure if the other died of red ; leg but it is supposed that's what happened. Shes on her second dosage of baytril this time for 2 weeks and she is back to eating and being active. Redness isnt going away though

Nationality
    [United States]

[QUOTE=Reptibian;265185]1. Whites tree frog
    4. 18x18x24
    5. one
    6. With her brother who passed away from red leg (assumed)
    7. none
    8. 50% (70% after spray 35% before spray)
    9. 75-78 degrees and 70-72 at night (occasionally higher or lower)
    10. Digital temp gauge and an infrared temp gun
    11. 75 watt zoo med bulb with UVA for daytime. 60 watt zoo med red infrared night light for night
    12. Water change every night or when pooped in I do it sooner. Tree/hide cleaned every night because quarantine tank.
    13. Well water for everything. No dechlorinator as it is chlorine free. never had problems in 3 years I have had her.
    14. Repticarpet as of now because she dislikes eco-earth.
    15. Clean with big bowl of water then clean repticarpet. wash off glass. make sure nothing except water ever touches her stuff so not to contaminate it. Plastic hanging plants.
    16. Tonight
    17. Yesterday
    18. Was 3 crickets every other day. sometimes did 1 one day and 2 the next etc.
    19. large cricket
    20. gave her a pinkie mouse for Christmas
    21. Crickets
    22. Roam
    23. Tetrafauna- reptolife plus
    24. Tetrafauna- reptocal (has D3)- Just about every feeding.
    26. 3 years, 8 months
    27. 3 years, 5 months
    28. Petco
    29. CB (i think because they were tiny when I first get her and her brother)
    30. Only when needed, more lately because I am worried about her. Wear gloves and always wash twice without soap to make sure no skin oils than i keep hands damp so i don't pick up and bacteria on way and never touch any door handles. But i make sure my hands are perfectly clean. #OCD about harming her
    31. Low traffic
    32. Baytril for a week. i have done that 4 times?

Here is a link to Slurps picture (I put it on yahoo answers (because this site wont let me)- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2202443AAJ9bIe
    Here is a link to enclosure- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/

Nationality
    [United States]

How can you tell she dislikes eco-earth?

Thread Information