Thread: Pacman Frog not burrowing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pacman Frog not burrowing?

Wednesday night I got a pacman frog from a guy on line. I would not have (as I was not looking for a frog) but the man who sold it said he had been feeding it pinky mice on a weekly basis. That didn`t sit right with me for obvious reasons and so I bought him after doing some research. I have several reptiles so have appropriate feeders (mealworms, roaches, and superworms). The frog came in a very simple container with substrate and a water dish and nothing else. But the frog was burrowing a lot in it. Well I enjoy making nice enclosures, and I have a 2.5 gallon tank sitting empty, so decided to make the little guy something nice. For some reason I could not upload a picture, but he is a baby so it is the perfect size, and it is much more interesting for him to explore. There is a nice little log for him, lots of foliage, a "pond"....he is in froggy heaven! Thing is, since I put him in last night, he has not been exploring. He has not even moved from the corner I put him in. I think he burrowed a TAD, but not much. Is this a sign that something is wrong? Is he just stressed? I have been pretty well leaving him alone. I am going to try to feed him a roach on Sunday, but it always worries me when an animal does not do what comes naturally to it. I did research but could not find anything on this. I know there is a lot of substrate for him to burrow in, so that is not the issue. Help please?

Default Re: Pacman Frog not burrowing?

I would personally say leave him as you were anyway, but perhaps just cover the tank so it's blacked on a few of the sides. Mine took a while to settle but that was enough to get him to settle good luck!

from Hannah

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello, he is probably just adapting to his new surroundings. Some frogs take the change ok and others it takes a few days. You are right about the pinkies not being good if that's all hes been given him. From what you have I would use the roaches, or if you can your hands on some Canadian night crawlers those are very good as staple for his diet too. For the burrowing what is the temp in the tank. It should be around 82F, if its not hot enough he may not feel the need to burrow. they burrow to cool off during the day and to get out of the light. And as suggested before me covering three sides of his tank will help make him feel abit more secure. Here is the pacman care article if you haven't already read it, and again no need to worry till a few days have past and even as babies some of them aren't as active as others. http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...-Care-Breeding Oh and with it now being Saturday have you tried to feed him at all. If not you could probably give it a try and see if he will take something now. Just if all hes has been fed for little awhile is pinkies you may have a hard time getting him to take something else, this may take some patience but he will come around.

Nationality
    [United States]

Actually I was just getting ready to write another post. Sunday I managed to get a super worm and some crickets in him, but when I tried a roach he wouldn't eat it. I tried the roach this morning. All he has had up until now are crickets and pinkies so he is not used to good food I don't think. I am hoping when he gets hungry enough he will eat. As for the temps...I have a bearded dragon in my room and her enclosure heats my entire room up to a bit over 80 degrees. When I get home I turn my fan on to cool down. I am worried if I put a heater on the frog it will overheat him. He is getting a day and night cycle. I will try to cover three sides of the enclosure though but he has burrowed a little deeper. I do have a lot of furniture in his tank, so I am considering moving him to a five gallon so he has a bit more room.

Nationality
    [Canada]

As long as your gut loading the crickets and using your vitamins with them there actually not bad at all, so if your doing those things and hes somewhat eating for you don't stress to much. Just keep trying to introduce other items for variety and I imagine he will get the point there isn't going to be any more pinkies every week. From what I read some pacs will eat roaches and others wont. If your going to put him in the 5 gallon I would just put a plant and a water dish. You say you have lots of furnishings in there right now and if his previous home wasn't like this its probably overwhelming him. In my tanks they both have 2 plants with big leaves to hide under and a water bowl and that's it. If you choose to put him the smaller tank cover the 3 sides and I suggest to leave him unless feeding because moveing again is going to stress him out.

Nationality
    [United States]

That was my other worry. I did have good intentions with decorating his tank, thinking he would feel secure with lots of places to hide. I am used to snakes and geckos and that tends to be their mentality. I never thought about it stressing him out. The container he had before was just substrate and a water dish. So maybe I will just take some of the decor out, at least until he is ready for a bigger tank. I am hoping he takes the roaches as I breed those. Thank you for the help! I tend to be a very anxious person so worrying about my babies is a natural state of being for me, lol!

Thread Information