Thread: Pacman Frog not burrowing?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pacman Frog not burrowing?

Wednesday night I got a pacman frog from a guy on line. I would not have (as I was not looking for a frog) but the man who sold it said he had been feeding it pinky mice on a weekly basis. That didn`t sit right with me for obvious reasons and so I bought him after doing some research. I have several reptiles so have appropriate feeders (mealworms, roaches, and superworms). The frog came in a very simple container with substrate and a water dish and nothing else. But the frog was burrowing a lot in it. Well I enjoy making nice enclosures, and I have a 2.5 gallon tank sitting empty, so decided to make the little guy something nice. For some reason I could not upload a picture, but he is a baby so it is the perfect size, and it is much more interesting for him to explore. There is a nice little log for him, lots of foliage, a "pond"....he is in froggy heaven! Thing is, since I put him in last night, he has not been exploring. He has not even moved from the corner I put him in. I think he burrowed a TAD, but not much. Is this a sign that something is wrong? Is he just stressed? I have been pretty well leaving him alone. I am going to try to feed him a roach on Sunday, but it always worries me when an animal does not do what comes naturally to it. I did research but could not find anything on this. I know there is a lot of substrate for him to burrow in, so that is not the issue. Help please?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Pacman Frog not burrowing?

I would personally say leave him as you were anyway, but perhaps just cover the tank so it's blacked on a few of the sides. Mine took a while to settle but that was enough to get him to settle good luck!

from Hannah

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello, he is probably just adapting to his new surroundings. Some frogs take the change ok and others it takes a few days. You are right about the pinkies not being good if that's all hes been given him. From what you have I would use the roaches, or if you can your hands on some Canadian night crawlers those are very good as staple for his diet too. For the burrowing what is the temp in the tank. It should be around 82F, if its not hot enough he may not feel the need to burrow. they burrow to cool off during the day and to get out of the light. And as suggested before me covering three sides of his tank will help make him feel abit more secure. Here is the pacman care article if you haven't already read it, and again no need to worry till a few days have past and even as babies some of them aren't as active as others. http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...-Care-Breeding Oh and with it now being Saturday have you tried to feed him at all. If not you could probably give it a try and see if he will take something now. Just if all hes has been fed for little awhile is pinkies you may have a hard time getting him to take something else, this may take some patience but he will come around.

Nationality
    [United States]

Actually I was just getting ready to write another post. Sunday I managed to get a super worm and some crickets in him, but when I tried a roach he wouldn't eat it. I tried the roach this morning. All he has had up until now are crickets and pinkies so he is not used to good food I don't think. I am hoping when he gets hungry enough he will eat. As for the temps...I have a bearded dragon in my room and her enclosure heats my entire room up to a bit over 80 degrees. When I get home I turn my fan on to cool down. I am worried if I put a heater on the frog it will overheat him. He is getting a day and night cycle. I will try to cover three sides of the enclosure though but he has burrowed a little deeper. I do have a lot of furniture in his tank, so I am considering moving him to a five gallon so he has a bit more room.

Nationality
    [Canada]

As long as your gut loading the crickets and using your vitamins with them there actually not bad at all, so if your doing those things and hes somewhat eating for you don't stress to much. Just keep trying to introduce other items for variety and I imagine he will get the point there isn't going to be any more pinkies every week. From what I read some pacs will eat roaches and others wont. If your going to put him in the 5 gallon I would just put a plant and a water dish. You say you have lots of furnishings in there right now and if his previous home wasn't like this its probably overwhelming him. In my tanks they both have 2 plants with big leaves to hide under and a water bowl and that's it. If you choose to put him the smaller tank cover the 3 sides and I suggest to leave him unless feeding because moveing again is going to stress him out.

Nationality
    [United States]

That was my other worry. I did have good intentions with decorating his tank, thinking he would feel secure with lots of places to hide. I am used to snakes and geckos and that tends to be their mentality. I never thought about it stressing him out. The container he had before was just substrate and a water dish. So maybe I will just take some of the decor out, at least until he is ready for a bigger tank. I am hoping he takes the roaches as I breed those. Thank you for the help! I tend to be a very anxious person so worrying about my babies is a natural state of being for me, lol!

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you have a hide for him you could keep it in because he could make use of it. Again some will use them some wont, I had one that loved her hide but unfortunately she isn't around anymore and the 2 I have now wouldn't use them so I took them out. With the one that would I just built a mound of cocofibre in each back corner then dug a nice hole out so it looked like 3 walls and would cover the top with a piece of cork bark. She would make a little indent and sleep in there all the time. Doing it like this I find is better then going out and buying a cave for a couple reasons, one being with one from a store he is going to out grow it more then likely were as this way you just make the mound bigger and use a bigger piece of cork. During feeding if he stays in the cave if its store bought the entrance is only so big so you have to get the food in there were as with the cork you just lift it off feed him and then put it back down. You could take some of your stuff out and I would maybe make couple caves or if you choose to buy one you could go with that, give him a couple nice big plants to hide under and his water and he should be good. If you can get your hands on some Canadian night crawlers as I mentioned earlier in the thread I bet he would eat those and they are very good for a staple with these guys. If he will eat the supers which aren't good for him all the time im almost certain he will eat nightcrawler.

Nationality
    [United States]

The hide is a log cave sort of thing from petco. If he doesn`t use it I have plenty of babies who will I also have a lot of plants in there. I thought of night crawlers, and do know where to get them. Now I am trying to decide if I should restress him all over again by taking out the log. He is not using it, but he likes sitting by it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Just make sure they nightcrawlers and not red wigglers, if he gets a taste of these red wigglers he more then likely will be turned off from worms all together. They have a very bad taste. That's exactly what my guys would do with there cave, bury beside it but not in it. If he stays beside it maybe keep it in like you said because it could be sense of security and your right you don't want to take it from him and stress him out. I would take a couple plants out maybe and see if that helps, as I mentioned if his previous home was bare like you said he might be overwhelmed. One more thing is your pond you said you made does it have a filter or is it just a water dish. If its a water dish the water has to be changed everyday and even with a filter You should do at least a 25% water change every few days maybe a week tops. The water bowl is a breeding ground for bacteria and can be the silent killer you never seen comeing. And make sure his water is no higher then his chin, these guys aren't good swimmers at all.

Nationality
    [United States]

It`s a water dish I have buried into the substrate. I have been changing that alone with all my other pets water dishes. It is not too deep at all. I had seen red wigglers and was going to try them, glad I didn`t! But yes I will take out some plants and go from there. Thank you so much! I am a reptile girl, so he is my very first amphibian And like I said, I was not even wanting one but the person who was selling him was giving him pinkies every week and I HATE seeing animals not cared for properly!

12. This member thanks PsykotikLovbyrd for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Its always nice when someone takes in an animal that hasn't been being cared for properly so kudos to you on that one for sure. And no problem for the help, that's what the forum is for. I didn't know half as much as I did until I joined here, and I will admit I still have stuff to learn myself. If you ever have any other questions dont be afraid to ask, even if seems basic or something you should know and someone should be able to help.

Nationality
    [United States]

I am hoping to have him around for a long while :-) He is a cute little guy.

Nationality
    [United States]

So just an update...

I took out the large log that was in his tank and the second I did he started to burrow, which is awesome. I will be trying to feed him in a day or two.

16. This member thanks PsykotikLovbyrd for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

That's good to hear, if he goes under and doesn't come up for a couple days you could just unbury his head to make sure he is ok and offer him something to eat. But glad to hear he is starting to act like he supposed to.

Thread Information