Thread: Please I need help, does my WTF have redleg?

Exclamation Please I need help, does my WTF have redleg?

Hi,

I am glad I found this forum on frogs because where I live (Montréal, Canada) there's not a lot of people who know anything about frogs (I can not even find a vet who knows about them).

I have two lovely WTF for 4 years now, Ava and Golden. Since September 10 (5 days agos) I noticed that Golden wasn't seems to feel well, she was on the ground the morning instead of sleeping above on the glass like usual. I waited until the night to see her awake and noticed that she looked apatic and her skin around her four legs was quite red... I worried a lot and immidiatly put her in another aquarium and follow instructions on the web site Wikihow.com-Care-for-a-sick-frog-with-red-leg-disease. I put only a wet towel ans and a small bowl of water.

During the fist night and the ones who follows she looked scared and jumped a lot everywhere in the aquarium, but when a hold her in my hand to examine her, she's really calm and doesn't move or try to espcape which is not really normal.

Now the redness seems to had go away a little bit but she still has some wich worry me a lot. I really love her and really don't want to lose her.

Here is some picture of the redness:

Also, I noticed during this 5 days that there was some little grey things in the aquarium and I really never saw that before but it looks like eggs? is it possible?

She also didn't eat since 6 days, but this is not unusual with her, compare to my other one who would eat every day if I let her.

Thank you a lot in advance, I am really worried.

(sorry for my bad english, I usally speak french.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Please I need help, does my WTF have redleg?

I don't know why I have difficulies to post pictures.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You will have to post a picture using a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com.

If you could copy/paste and fill out this questionnaire, it would really help us help you

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thanks a lot Amy, I will fill the questionnaire as soon as I come back from work

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi im not a treefrog expert or even own any so I cant really help with the redleg question because I don't what colour there legs underneath are supposed to be but I had question. Is it normal for a whites to be that big? He almost looks swollen, again its just a question not saying anything is wrong. Just would like would like to know because I really like to learn as much as possible in case I ever take the plunge into tree frogs.

7. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't think it looks like she has red leg. Their legs are usually pinkish. Red leg is my like blisters I believe. I'm not positive but I THINK females get swollen like that when the have eggs. That in the picture just may be eggs, probably none fertile eggs though unless you have had them in a rain chamber for breeding. I'm no expert though, maybe one will chime in soon for you.

9. This member thanks Wbarnes8723 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Filling out the questionnaire would give us a lot of info also.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

11. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Re: Please I need help, does my WTF have redleg?

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species) white tree frog
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" ) 18 x 18 x 14
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? ) another WTF of the same size
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate: no
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined: no
    8----what is the typical humidity level: I don't know
    9----what temperature is maintained: 25 the day and 22 the night
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: bulb light (will verify the brand) and heat carpet when it's getting cold
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically) : will verify
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc) :change water every two days and cleaning of the entire enclosure once a month
    13---what kind of water is used: tap water rest for 24h for both
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand: no
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific: coco husk exo terra
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned: encloser the same for 4 years, every object in the tank is soak in hot water and vinegar for 30 min
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric: fabric plant
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials: big piece of wood bought in a pet store, I remove the back ground because crickets hide behind
    16---when is the last time the frog ate: 7 days ago
    17---have you found poop lately: I don't think
    18---how often is the frog fed : I try to feed her almost everyday because she doesn't eat a lot, she accepts about 6 insects per week, I often get up from bed the night to try to feed her
    19---what size feeder is given medium crickets or butter worms, goliath and silkworms
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source butter worms and crickets
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed: I feed them with feeding pliers to make sure they eat because crickets tend to hide in the coco husk until they die and my frogs can't catch them
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often: exo terra vitamin powder every week
    24---calcium - what brand and how often: exo terra calcium powder every week
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time: no
    26---approximate age of the frog: 4 years
    27---how long have you owned the frog: 4 years
    28---who cared for the frog before you: the pet shop
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred: probably captive bred, they were really small
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves) : once every 3 days, without gloves
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: yes, quiet in a empty room
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no): yes for 6 days
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication: No
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

[/COLOR]
    I also want to mention that Golden and Ava get allong really Nice, they are often next to each other, but sometimes my other frog Ava seems to scares Golden or stress her, Golden sometimes stays hiden in the plants instead of hanging on the ground normaly, I red sometimes frogs can be more vunarable to illnesses when they are stressed.
    Thank you

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Okay at the first look;
    setting out tap water may work with some water treatment programs, but some cities use chlorinates that don't gas off. I don't know if this applies to your area but you might want to keep it in mind.

Ate 7 days ago: Is your frog refusing to eat? That may be a sign of illness. Dumpies tend to want to eat more than they should.
    But, on the other hand, your frog looks very well fed even if she is a little bloated from eggs. Butterworms are very high in fat and calories and feeding them often might be making your frog overweight and making her want to move and eat less.

I would continue monitoring her legs, looking for anything like broken blood vessels or sores. But her legs in the pictures look normal and pink.

14. This member thanks elly for this post:

Hi, thank you.

If we look carefully, you can see that her leg is half pink but it is also dark red, we don't see it a lot in the picture. Look also the front shot picture, over her two arms you can see the dark red (almost Brown) areas, this is not normal and she never had that (hopefully it desapear a little bit every day).
    I will look for water treatment program.
    she always had little problem with chasing the food or accepting the food offer, but she happen to accept more worms than crickets (she seems to hate them) so I tend to give her more worms, which I know is not the best option.

is it normal that it is the first time I ever see eggs from her? Is there a link with the redleg?
    thank you very much

Hi, Thank you, WTF are known to be chubby frogs but I admit mine may be a little bit to big.
    If one day you want to take a plunge into tree frogs, go ahead, they so endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hi im not a treefrog expert or even own any so I cant really help with the redleg question because I don't what colour there legs underneath are supposed to be but I had question. Is it normal for a whites to be that big? He almost looks swollen, again its just a question not saying anything is wrong. Just would like would like to know because I really like to learn as much as possible in case I ever take the plunge into tree frogs.
    Hi, Thank you, WTF are known to be chubby frogs but I admit mine may be a little bit to big.
    If one day you want to take a plunge into tree frogs, go ahead, they so endearing.

My frog ate a worm last night! I was so resssure, at least she now has something in her stomach.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm not surprised she prefers butterworms to crickets, those are like donuts to frogs.

I'm glad yours ate. I thought the brown was normal coloring before, but I can see how it might be worrying. I'd also look for irregular shedding, shedding with patches of skin still left on. Also note if your frog continues to be lazy and still.

If only to ease your mind, you might want to call local vets and ask if they have a herp vet that is willing to treat frogs. You might want to mention you think yours has chytrid fungus. There are some online vets you can ask, but I don't have info on that. Some other people on this forum do.

Thread Information