Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruby (ACF) is bloated

Default Re: Ruby (ACF) is bloated

I'm really concerned about her right now. She keeps wanting to float on her back. I put her in a salt bath to try and get the swelling down in her legs. The water is shallow in the bath, only a few inches deep but she was still rolling onto her back. I had to put in a fake fabric plant in on its side and then lay her on top of it to keep her on her belly so her nose is above water. I think if she's on her back eventually she'll feel the need to breathe and kick herself over but she's going to be too exhausted at some point. I've lowered the water in the ten gallon, I'll see how she does in there after he bath.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

I have to be honest, if her behavior is already that erratic, she may not make it. I really hope she pulls through. Don't stop treating her though, she might surprise us.

I haven't started the second round of antibiotics yet, I only bought enough for one treatment so I'll have to go back to the store. That said I'm not entirely sure she needs more meds. Her bloat is nearly gone, I think her body is just working on getting rid of the fluid. I think her issues now may be the result of damage caused by being bloated for a long time.

This was her after her final day of antibiotics:

This is her today:

DSC_1434

I wanted to get a picture of her in a vertical position so you could see her thighs but she didn't feel like posing today, I'll try again soon. As you can see her outward physical condition is nearly normal (she is scratched up now though). After her salt bath last night when I put her in the QT tank I got a better idea of what she can and can't do. She can move around on the bottom of the tank just fine. She can surface for air though she does swim slightly erratically when she tries to do that. She cannot float vertically at the top of the water without starting to flip onto her back. This makes it difficult for her to rest like they often do with their nose above water. This was all as of last night. Today when I just went down to get the photos she did not go to the surface at all (but did move around a little bit on the bottom) so I'm not sure if anything has changed.

Now I'm also having issues with my male frog. He keeps acting as though he's shedding his skin, you know the whole swimming erratically like he's seizing, kicking at his body then shoving his hands towards his mouth. Except he's not shedding and he's doing it every day. I'll try to get it on video. it basically looks like a seizure.

Nationality
    [United States]

It might be a good idea to start him on antibiotics too. Maybe a separate hospital tank for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruby ate half a reptomin stick today. It's the first she's been able to eat since she bloated so I'm pretty excited and cautiously optimistic.

What antibiotic should I use on my male? Are his symptoms more in line with parasites or should I just assume he's being affected by the same microorganisms as Ruby?

Nationality
    [United States]

It's most likely that they have the same pathogen. But it is possible he may have something else. I would treat him as you are treating Ruby, and watch for signs of other issues.

I'm glad Ruby was able to eat some. That is definitely a good sign. Did you add any marine salt to her hospital tank?

I haven't added any salt at this point because I haven't seen it mentioned on any websites I've gone to, so I'm a bit concerned about it's safety.

Nationality
    [United States]

Marine salt is a safe preventative for fungal and bacterial infections. It is such an accepted practice that the sticky "Trouble in the Enclosure", on this forum, asks how much is added (question 20.) In many places such as Britain, escaped populations are found breeding in brackish water.

I started adding Instant Ocean after talking to a few researchers that keep frogs for oocyte collection. Salt hardens the water, which is very beneficial to the frogs. It also helps them maintain a good slime coat and lowers pathogens.

I've been adding salt for years. Coupled with good maintenance, I haven't had a sick frog since adding salt.

Just wanted to give an update. Ruby is doing really well. A week ago I really thought I was going to lose her but she's nearly back to normal. I have not run a second round of antibiotics on her yet because she has been consistently improving so I wasn't sure it was necessary. She's able to eat (though seems to have a difficult time finding food, I need to put my finger on top of the floating pieces of reptomin for her to eat it) and swim. Today I put the water in her tank back up to its normal height and she has no trouble surfacing. She does still appear to have some trapped fluid under her skin. If you look at her while stationary you wouldn't notice it but when she swims her back still jiggles.

My male is still having his strange episodes so I think I'm going to go ahead and medicate him. I'm wondering if I should put my female in with him and medicate both of them. I'm not sure if her remaining fluid she has is caused by bacteria that survived the first treatment making a comeback and bringing the bloat back or if it is just fluid her body wasn't able to remove. In that case antibiotics won't be helpful.

Nationality
    [United States]

I would medicate both. Keep up Ruby's treatment until all the swelling is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never ended up re-treating Ruby or treating Moe. I wasn't able to get to the store right away and Ruby's bloating disappeared and I haven't noticed Moe kicking at himself so much, though I still see it on occasion. Ruby's issues continue however. She is now emaciated. She's eating with no issues but appears to be starving. I'm not sure if she was skinny before and it was covered up by the bloat or if this is an after effect of the bloat. I know I need to treat them with something I just need to know what. Should I just give her more antibiotics or should I treat for parasites? And what medication can you use for parasites in aquatic frogs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information