Thread: Pacman frog squeaking

spec

Default Pacman frog squeaking

I recently cleaned out my two pacs cage and one of them keeps squeaking. It sounds like someones shoe's squeaking across a wet floor, unlike the deep throaty calls which are usualy heard. They've been in estevation for quite some time, probably close to 8 months to a year. I'm not sure if this is something i should be concerned about, i keep it around 80 degrees with high humidity fresh water and daily mistings. I took both of them out and they appear to be even larger than when they went in and there aren't any abrasions or anything noticeably wrong.... any advice?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman frog squeaking

You say they've been hibernating for 8 month to a year? Ummm that's not normal and without food ofor that amount of time they would die. So clearify estivation. Have they been eating at all? The squeeking is probably the frogs feet rubbing on the bottom of the tank while its trying to burrow deeper than it can go. They doo make a squeaking noise sometimes. Clearify what you've said above so we can help you better.

Nationality
    [United States]

It could be a distress noise they sometimes make since you were cleaning our their cage...

spec

It was winter time last year both of them dug in, can't say specifically. They haven't come out to eat or anything, tho they're still same size or even larger. Fat round and the same color. I think one of them took a couple of crickets at one point, like three. No where near the amount usually eaten. I just checked and he was at the bottom. he positioned himself under the lamp so maybe he was getting hot. I flipped the light to the opposite side and we'll see if that works. What am I looking at as far as them not coming out? I know for certain it's been more than 6 months. I'd still say at least 8.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Now, I am by no means an expert in pacmans, but I doubt that the frog is growing and getting larger if it's in brumation for 6-8 month (which means no (or in your case, a few crickets) food).

Nationality
    [United States]

Something is definetly not right. Something has messed up their day night cycle or seasons. They usually don't go into full estivation as in hibernation unless conditions are right for it. Usually a slow and gradual drop and temp and humidity over a week or 2 which makes their body switch into winter hibernation or dry season hibernation. It is not normal for them to go under this long with the conditions not being right. You might have to find a way to slowly bring them out of it. I'm not sure what's going on but they don't just go into long term sleep mode like that.

IvoryReptiles

I completely agree with Grif!!

spec

Any suggestions as to how to bring them out? I hear my older pac about every 15 minutes or so squeaking at the bottom, they're each in their own 25 gallon container with about 10" of bed a beast. temp ranges from 78-82 degrees and my hyrgometer stays above 80%. mist daily and offered food to them every opportunity they gave me. diet included earthworms, wax worms, crickets, and occasionally a hopper (once every 2-3 months). I use heat lamps at night and the blue bulb during the day, and dusted their food with calcium w d3 and herptivite. So, i don't know... My wife was convinced that they had died.

Nationality
    [United States]

Are you possitive that you temp gauge and hygrometer are correct? The normal way to bring them out of hibernation is to gradually raise the temps and humidity up over a span of a week or 2 until the frogs emerge and begin to awaken. If the temps are already where they need to be then I don't know. You may have to dig them up and inspect the frogs. See if they're active or actually hibernating. If they've been under that long than the reason why they look of normal weight is due to water weight. What is the night time temps you keep them at and what type of night bulb? How many watts are your bulbs and how moist is your soil for them? Do you de-chlorinate your frogs water? I sence stress being an issue possibly. Do you have 3 sides of the tanks covered with some sort of background.

spec

I've dug them up and compared them to pics that I've got. Everything looks normal and there isn't any odd behavior other than... not coming out. Is there any sort of solution I can soak them in to promote activity. I recall in the frog care forum it has emergency list containing things like pedialite etc.... Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and thank you for previous replies

Nationality
    [United States]

You could try a warm bath of de-chlorinated water and 3 to 4 drops of honey disolved in the water. Be sure the water is not too deep. Only as deep as up to the frogs chin. You could try pedialite. You have to make sure its the unflavored kind. You have to delute the solution I believe but I don't recall what the ratio is. It may say in the frog first aid. I would check and see. I've never actually heard of this kind of accurance taking place with out the proper conditions set in place. Very odd. Something definetly had to have happened to cause them to suddenly go into hibernation mode. Are you possitive that your temp and humidity gauges are correct? Conditions for hibernation usually are temps in the low 50s and high 40s. Humidity around 40 to 50%. I would buy a couple new gauges as well and place them in the enclosure. If you're using analog gauges they tend to lose calibration after a while and no longer read correctly. You need to check everything to be sure all is as it should be. Keep us posted.

Giantpacmans

Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    I recently cleaned out my two pacs cage and one of them keeps squeaking. It sounds like someones shoe's squeaking across a wet floor, unlike the deep throaty calls which are usualy heard. They've been in estevation for quite some time, probably close to 8 months to a year. I'm not sure if this is something i should be concerned about, i keep it around 80 degrees with high humidity fresh water and daily mistings. I took both of them out and they appear to be even larger than when they went in and there aren't any abrasions or anything noticeably wrong.... any advice?
    Is it burrowed when squeaking? It sounds like it is using it's legs against the bottom of the enclosure your keeping it in and it is making that squeaking sound.

Otherwise, I can't help you with that :S

Mine does the same and its annoying. I would like to hear some good suggestions to stop this. Its seems like my guys moves around then finds a new spot and does the pacman shimmy at like 3 4 or 5am. I was going to try more substrate. He's in about an inch to 2 inches at the most now. Im thinking if i put more he wont dig down to the bottom and make the noise. Thanks

Thread Information