Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
Sometimes I fond it fun to feed them by hand, at other times I toss the crickets right into the beautifully planted naturalistic terrarium.
On the one hand, these frogs are fairly active foragers, I've witnessed mine hopping about looking behind, under and between everything in the cage in search of food, so he's not lacking a workout there if he is hand fed regularly.
I've also never had any problems placing live food directly into the terrarium. A fair number of sow bugs live permanently inside the terrarium, and crickets don't last long once offered.
Some people seem to have this rather (IMO) ridiculous fear of their frogs eating the substrate. I'm not overly concerned with this. I keep my frogs in naturalistic terrariums with a substrate of additive free top soil with living or dried sheet moss over it. If the frog ingests a small amount of either of these (which I've never seen happen) I don't see it giving them the same kind of problems as bark chips, gravel or rough sand would, which I don't suggest that you use for that very reason anyway.
I'm unaware that recently captive male grays are fussy eaters that need to be coddled, mine ate like a pig from day one. But then of course, he didnt have to go through all the stress of being put into crowded holding cages until he was shipped over seas. It was a short trip from the woods to my living room for him, and he's done well ever since.
Though they are a common species here, I'm interested in breeding them.

When it gets right down to it, its really just a matter of the preferances of the keepers.

yes i agree i think its preference rather than a need,as i say i've never come across one that needs help in feeding.The only crickets i remove are dead ones,they dont survive long if not eaten..
I agree with you on the substrate,again maybe they might take some in if the cricket has some stuck to it or something but then they probably would in the wild but it seems to have no ill effects(additive free soil of course), i think sometimes we can be over cautious, nature knows best.Providing we provide the right enviroment i think they are quite capable of taking care of themselves